Honda D Series Forum banner

About to be boosted, tips pls

814 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  inspector01 
#1 ·
well i just pieced together my turbo kit, got a xspower t3 t4 50 trim, down pipe, wastegate(have no clue what kind it is and what size spring it is) for $125, went on ebay and got a cheap intercooler and piping kit and ordered my oil lines from blaastperfomance.com. whenever my IC kit comes in, im gunna test fit everyting on the car to make sure its all good. so any tips with the IC and piping on how to make it go smoother??

Another question i have is about the wastegate, this might be a stupid question but here it goes. Will it damage the turbo to run without a wastegate?? There will be no piping hooked to the turbo, i just wanna get the turbo up to temps to check for oil leaks and such. The reason i ask is because i have to drill the HF manifold out on top for the wastegate to set and i havent found a way to do that yet. Yay or nay?? thanks for lookin guys

#2 ·
no wastegate = BOOM!!! you could let the car idle to get up to temp, but you CANNOT drive it!!! Die grinder would be your best bet it to get the hole for the wastegate (grind out the 02 sensor hole to the size of the flange...) and cross your fingers that the weld doesn't crack (the best way is to heat the mani up, MIG weld it, then cool it down VERY slowly; using an over would be your best bet... )

I assume this kit is goin on an EF? Just make the pipes as short as possible, and the cold side piping should just go right over the trans (IIRC; its hard to go through the splash-gauge area on EF's...)

#6 ·
I don't understand why people talk crap about something they know nothing about. my friends has one on his b16 motor. Running the shit out of it for about a year already. NO PROBLEMS!!! I know there's a thread out there about one that broke apart. I think it operator era!!!! How you install it is the key......

#8 ·
There will be no piping hooked to the turbo, i just wanna get the turbo up to temps to check for oil leaks and such.
do NOT run your car with no charge pipes hooked up. the WG will not open and the turbo will overspin and cook itself.

get every part you need before installing anything, just do it right

#10 ·
thanks for the replys guys...atleast i asked before i did it lol...anyways about the turbo, theres atleast a hand ful of guys around my area runnin xspower turbos and have had no problems...buddy of mine has 1 on his 99 prelude on 4psi and its just sick for 4 psi

as far as fuel managment, im still reading up on it...anyone on this site that will chip my ecu and give me a basemap to run my car safely till i can get it fully tuned??

PS..how do i rotate the cold side to point up???its pointing down now and hits the crossmember

#13 ·
PS..how do i rotate the cold side to point up???its pointing down now and hits the crossmember
There are a handful of bolt that go into the aluminum compressor housing, all you need to do is loosen them off a bit and you should be able to clock the housing to point up. I had a ford probe turbo (brand new) and it wouldn't turn but I realized that it has some sort of sealant or glue on it. I took a propane torch to it and slowly worked my way around and around untill the glue let go of it's grip. Then the housing turned easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.