Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my arp head studs, started to put it all back together only to find that i need a 12 point 12mm deepwell socket to torque them down.:slap:
now where the hell can you find one.

·
Registered
639 Posts
local parts stores should have them... cheap to.. i think i paid 12 bucks for the 12 point 17mm for the flywheel and 12 point 10mm for the pressure plate!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. will try autozone, checked at O'Reilly's only had 6 point deepwells. was trying to get it back together tonight before my 3 day weekend at work. oh well i've got most of monday.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I used a 12 point standard socket on mine with no problems.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the studs are just long enough to hit the extension before the nuts hit the washer. probly could torque them down, but just blew a head gasket don't want to take a chance on this one.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
the studs are just long enough to hit the extension before the nuts hit the washer. probly could torque them down, but just blew a head gasket don't want to take a chance on this one.
I hear ya, Maybe I just got lucky with mine not needing a deep well. My car always tends to be an odd ball :lol:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
if it just barly hit the extension/torq wrench you can take the socket off and put it on the bolt/nut the put the wrench back on, it wont go on all the way but it should go on good enough to torq your head... ive had to do this numerous time's with other thing's...

Reactions: ryan89crx

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
if it just barly hit the extension/torq wrench you can take the socket off and put it on the bolt/nut the put the wrench back on, it wont go on all the way but it should go on good enough to torq your head... ive had to do this numerous time's with other thing's...
That's what I tried when I first installed mine, and it didn't work too well. It was much easier to just go to Sears for a new socket than stress over it. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I know it was cheap (~$5).

Another thing I learned...I was willing to try anything to avoid buying a new socket, so I tried to improvise with a 1/2" deep socket (I think it was 1/2"). It worked for the first 9, but I stripped the socket and the nut on the 10th.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are you sure you have the headstuds screwed all the way down in the block?
Did you clean out the threads with a tap? If they are not all the way down in the block you may strip the block when you torque them down.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, their all the way down. think it's because i've got an d16a6 head on a d15b2 block, with the head shaved .024 plus the thinner HG, all of this and my short 40+ year old craftsman sockets are adding up to :cussing:

and yes i'm using the a6/z6/b7 studs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.