1991 civic std
complete (engine and chasis) 89 si wire harness
89 si d16a6 block/tranny
95 ex d16z6 complete head
stock a6 injectors w/ resistor box
d16z6 timing belt
d16z6 head gasket
megan racing adjustable cam gear
megan racing headers (until i put on the turbo)
msd sci ignintion box
msd blaster 2 coil
stock/new spark plug wires
z6 ngk v power plugs
stock/new rotor
modified 93 accord stock external coil distributor cap
obd0 to obd1 conversion harness
auto p28 odb1 ecu (will convert to standard)
ebay adjustable fuel pressure regulator

future plans
parts i dont not currently have are marked with *)
t3/t4 internal gated*
hf manifold w/adapter plate
2.5" down pipe
2.5" intercooler piping
cca intercooler
dsm 450cc injectors
greddy type s style ebay bov
chipped my curreny p28 have it turned with crome
195 lph fuel pump

i got everything together and the car does run, but it has some serious problems. the idle is a lil shaky and the car smokes. there is gas/water spitting out of the exhaust. (oil and coolent are clean and stay at proper level, so i dont think its a headgasket issue) when the car was running if i pulled spark plug wire #1 or 4 its ran the sam, but if i pulled 2 or 3 it shut off. with some timing adjustments i got it to run solidly on 2, 3, and 4. but when i still pull plug #1 the motor runs the same. i checkd the spark and its sparking good. i am hoping its just a timing issue. i got the crank set to tdb (single white mark) and i set the head to tdc with the stock z6 cam gear (timing marks lined up). i threw on the megan adjustable cam gear. i got the motor to run best with the cam ger advanced all the way and the distributor all the way twords the firewall. i cant get a good view on the crank pully with the timing light, plus i really dont know how to use the light so thats out. with everything advanced the car idles 96% correctly, but i dthink i still have a slight misfire on cylender #1. i have had this issure before i installed the msd setup. i was having coil problems so i threw on the msd i had sitting around. i was told i should get a fuel pressure regulator and turn down the pressure. i had an ebay fpr so i went to throw it on but i had to buy an adapter so i can hook it to my fuel rail.

any help would be appreciated. you can im me on aim SQ is the SQUAD or you can email me [email protected] if your in the boston area feel more then welcome to come by and help

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
sounds like your band aiding the original problem...misfire isnt going to be helped be fpr, or msd...any check engine light blinks on the ecu?
if advancing the distributor helps, maybe your timing belt has slipped a tooth. try advancing your cam timing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont belive the timing belt has slipped, i have removed.installed it about 4 times double checking and its the same everytime. i was told the a6/z6 combo will always be 1/2 tooth so ill need an adjustable cam get to fix that problem. the msd set up was not a band aid seeing that the dizzy was totally dead. ill try to get all the cel tomarrow and let you know what they are.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
i ran a y8 head milled fourty thou on a a6 block...your right about the cam gear...it just sounds like timing is off...let us know what the codes are if any.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to get the codes, but i am also going to try to run the pm6 ecu with the odb0 89 si dizzy to see if there is any dfference. i was told to check the injectors/resistor box, maybe something is stuck open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds like you might have a bad injector. id replace it or maybe use some sea foam to try and clean it out. i kinda had t he same problem, i installed some 310cc injectors and it barely ran. put some sea foam in the gas tank and forced it to run and after a couple minutes it was running great.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got some rc 310 injectors i belive where from an integra, but they dont have bottom seals and i dont know what seals to get fro them. ill take these ones out and soak them, see if it helps. or ill swap 3 and 4 around to see if it makes a difference. i also have the dsm blacktop 450's but there will be too much until i get the turbo on, i dont think i can scale them down with the fpr

anyone know where i should have my fpr set at?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the car running and decided to pull the plug of injector #1, and the car ran the same, so i know for a fact that it has something to do with injector #1. i know its got air, fuel and spark.

first thing today i put back the pm6 and the a6 distributor. the car ran the same. after i undid that i swapped the injector 1 and 2 around and 1 was still miss firing. i changed the resistor box and it was still the same. then i got another injector clip, ran wires straight to the resistor box and ecu, it was still the same.

i removed the #1 spark plug and cranked the motor, a lot of air was blowing out the hole at a really high rate so i think i got decent compression. i think i may possable have a bent valve, just dont know how to really check for that. is it possable i just need a valve adjustment? please give me some ideas on things to check

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok so if you swapped injectors and its still the same cylinder, then my next guess would be tat you have a chipped valve, which is very common for our valves. do a compression test and see what your numbers are. i bet your #1 cylinder has lower compression than the rest.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did a compression test the other day. cylender #1 had 0, 2 had 190 and 3 and 4 had 220. i am guessing bent valves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just guessing also, im sure that you have a chipped valve. unless your tming was severely off then i dont think u have a bent valve. i think a bad head gasket will cause little to no compression too but with my experiance youve got a chipped valve. easy fix if you know what you are doing. '

one way to check if you have a bent valve is to just take the valve cover off and then have a buddy crank the engine over but not to start it, and look at the valve springs when its cranking too see if the are both moving up and down the same distance. they should be the same. if not then i would say u got a bent valve. either way the next step is to pull the head off to investigate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes sir. get a new head. lol i was also thinking you could have a hole in your piston but i think you would have other or more problems than a small misfire. just take you head off and look at the valves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the headgasket was brand new. i am gonna pull the head off tomarrow (if its not raining). i got 2 other sohc vtec heads i beleve they are both z6 heads. i am going to take the valves out of one of those for the #1 cylender. and bring the head to the machine shop to get all new seals, decked, cleand and a 3 angle valve job

will using valves from a different head be a problem? with the other head already off i can see the all the valves shut properly

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am not exactly sure of there condidtion either. one has been in my vbasement for like 3 years, dont re,ber much about it and its not complete and the other is also not complete and i found it in someones garage.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
i c
maybe combine evrything you have into one head..whats missing from the other heads? if they have all the valves, swapping rocker/cam assembly is easy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
put it like this. i belive some how, i just messed up the valves on this head playing with the timing cuz the head worked fine when i had it on my dx block. those other 2 head i dunno if they are warped, cracked, or what. id rether just throw in the valves to the hea iam already using and have it machined.

this is the picture of the head i found in someones garage (got it for free). it looks like these valves might also be bent, but i dont know what a bent valve looks like.

should these to close to eachother be cracked open while the ones on the far left are open?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts