Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this since i did my swap, i think my timing is like half a tooth off. I used the z6 cam gear, head hasn't really been milled, just resurfaced and cleaned. I guess adjustable would be best, but should it be off a little bit with stock z6 cam gear?

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
single vtec is OVERRATED !!!!
should have stuck with the a6 and a cam regrind. a6 is WAY underrated.

now, z6 head, cam and obviously cam gear. make sure you got the right timing belt.

tdc the head and the block, then slip on the t-belt. time it @ 16* adjust the dizzy accordingly.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I love my A6 setup. . due to some things. . i have done the mini-me swap, but I will say this. . with the proper build up, an A6 is a great motor for a SOHC build. I will stand behind that!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, a6 is a great motor to build. Mine was stout before but i got a good deal on the head. Also i like the cam options, not just regrinds, for the z6. Dont get me wrong, a6's are good, seen stock ones take spray over and over like it was nothing.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And i forgot to mention I am running the z6 cam gear, just didn't know if the blocks may've had different deck heights and all. I'm using a z6 timing belt too. I've got it close, if its not right on, then its only a half tooth off. I dunno, they mayve had to resurface it quite a bit.

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
a6 has .020 deck hight and the z6 has .000

if all else fails, jst make it work with moving the dizzy around.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
of course it is.

Get an adjustable and put it on a dyno.

Without it, it is on par with installing a cam dot to dot (on a v8 anyways :D) or not checking piston to valve clearance with a big cam and some compression.

Why would you NOT want to find out and know for sure?

Being half a tooth off (6 degrees) was worth 8 to the tires. Imagine a tooth or more.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that was my next question because i think my tensioner is going out, its making an almost ticking and slight roaring noise coming from the timing belt area, and did so slightly before i did the head swap. So i should use a z6 tensioner and timing belt? I'm currently running the a6 tensioner and z6 belt.

Also, what do ya'll recommend for an adj. cam gear for a good price?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts