Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok. i know i posted that i was going to build a spray motor, but id rather save that money and just turbo the bitch. now my question is: With a quality turbo kit, could i get 200whp out of a d16a6? or would it be easier to swap the z6 in and turbo that. im spending $1000 getting the a6 rebuilt and i dont want it to be for nothing. how come most kits are a stage 2? i want a stage 1 damnit!! http://www.revhard.com/turbokit/efcivicturbokit.asp?year=88-91&model=Civic&engine=D is this pretty much a "bolt on" minus the tunning? im not worried about that. i live between orlando and tampa......i can get it tunned.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
what does a $1000 rebuild consist of? you can find a perfectly running motor for half of that...or less
if you already have the a6 id say go with that as 200 hp turboed isnt to high of a goal
check out ryan89crx, he has an a6 i believe and is about at that with a homemade kit
the rev hard kit is decent but you could do put together a kit for cheaper, check out the turbo faq sticky

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my rebuild is:
machining the block/ head
painting both
full gasket kit
new bearings
new rings
making sure my rods were perfectly round
shipping on all the stuff
labor
and i think thats it.

so an a6 can hold 200whp? if i wanted to later on, could i take all the turbo stuff off the a6 and swap in a z6 and use the same turbo kit on that?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and a new oil pump and water pump. all the stuff is from topline and medulle(sp).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in your opinion which would be better? would vtec help that much, or is vtec useless on a turbo motor?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
88ED3 said:
in your opinion which would be better? would vtec help that much, or is vtec useless on a turbo motor?
VTEC was originally designed for fuel economy, so that you were using smaller lobes on the cam when cruising part throttle to increase mpg. what the a6 lacks is a good flowing IM, use the z6 and a B series TB and you will gain flow there. non vtec is good for first time setups as well because it is easier to tune

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ryan89crx said:
VTEC was originally designed for fuel economy, so that you were using smaller lobes on the cam when cruising part throttle to increase mpg. what the a6 lacks is a good flowing IM, use the z6 and a B series TB and you will gain flow there. non vtec is good for first time setups as well because it is easier to tune
thats y id rather go full swap rather than mini me. id have to get my ecu tunned for that, might as well do it all at once. would a mini me turbo set up push more power than a full z6 swap turbo?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so an a6 built/turbo will push as much power as an z6 built/turbo. will that extra 20 hp id get from the z6 worth it? theoreticaly the z6 block and a6 block are the same....the difference is the head right.... well i shoul just go mini me huh? get it tunned and then go turbo.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
head, and stroke length are diff... and yes, they will push the same, as long as you use aftermarket rods and pistons

1 - 19 of 19 Posts