Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up an A6 block and some extras for $30. I am a noob when it comes to rebuilding motors, so I will need all the help and suggestions I can get. I have been doing alot of research though. This will be going in 1 or my 3 crx si's.
I am going to completely build the motor.
It will be for a occasional weekend driver and some long distance trips.

I think the first thing I should do is take the bare block to the machine shop and have them check the crank and hone the cylinders? They should be able to tell me what size bearings and pistons to use?

Goal: More than 200 HP.
Motor
A6 Block
A6 Head
Vitara Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head Studs
Balanced/Polished Crankshaft
ACL Bearings

Transmission
Si Transmission with OBX
Clutch????

Turbo
Not sure yet

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200hp can be done stock block. dont waste our time rebuilding if the motor has good compression
I bought the motor completely torn down.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I bought the motor completely torn down.
ahh...

Tuner Toys rods + Vitaras are a good combo if your sleeves arent way out of spec. if they are, you might want to look into a set of forged slugs. SRPs are the cheapest and work fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Kev - keeping the faith, eh? Finally getting my ZC into my '90 Si up here in IL . . . have to get the P29 piston set to go along w/the 251-0014 spec Crane cam, other than that - has been fits and starts w/this thing. OE engine went out @ 222,000 miles/rebuilt bought just four months ago/pulling it to replace this weekend. Paint is done, EDM wing to the back hatch, roadracegear.com airdam w/splitter to go on soon (once snow clears a bit), also put on the plastic stick-on window shades. The C-pillar bar is a great item too, btw. Good luck down there in the sunflower state . . . .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I like the A6 motors for some reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, found out I also need the P29 (hi-dome) pistons (initially had the OE flat domes) to go along w/the hi-comp cam (duh) . . . so went with the A6 cam in the meantime, as it ran like crap initially. Runs great now and first oil change coming next week - wondering how the new cam/pistons will work w/stock injectors and ECU & still pass emissions here in IL. Keeping it as is for the meantime, until such time as I can figure out how everything will be copasetic in there and still run 11:1 compression.

Sitting on a D16A6 long block @ the moment, going to go to the local community college and take an engine rebuilding course to see about rebuilding the litle devil myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the A6 is fu**in great! on my crx si with 250,000 + miles

took 8-10 psi(hit 10 psi on accident, boost controller "malfuntion") like a damn champ! till my timing belt snapped close to redline.... motor went to sh*t.
i miss that car!!

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updated. I finally have money to put towards this build.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a local shop send the block and head off to the machine shop. Waiting to hear if they are worth building.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the news, let me know what you think.
The block, machine shop recommends 75.5 pistons (overbore) due to all the rust on the cylinders.

Head, when the piston broke, it came up and smacked the head, They said they can put new valves in it, valve job, basically have a good head again for 250 dollars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking about converting it to OBD1. Then I would need a Z6 Vtec head, distributor, and conversion harness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts