Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to start my next build and ive been back and forth for a little while between another Z6 and a Y8. But yesterday at work an 02 civic came in with a seized camshaft and broken cam gear, the customer is replacing the entire motor. Since the block is still in good shape I asked my boss if I could take the A2 block. I'l be going stock motor turbo and id like to hear what turbo A2 owners think of their engines, if its not worth it I dont want the block taking up space in my already crowded garage.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
what vehicle is it going in? and the 7th gen civic motors are kinda a bitch to modify

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If you are willing to machine the crank snout to accept a d16 pulley, you can install the d17 crank and rods into a d16 honda motor for a stroker assembly.

You will NEED to run 27mm compression height pistons though.

Stock d17 rods can take 200-230whp on a VERY nice tune.

They do offer aftermarket rods for the d17 but due to the d17 rods being skinnier then teh normal d16 rods, the aftermarket is limited and can be costly.

Unless you can find info on shaving d16 rods down, I suggest saving some cash

stroker setups do GREAT with turbo builds. Faster spooling, more torque, but they dont like revving very high.

You have more options staying d16 though

whatever you decide, have fun!! most important thing!

·
Registered
2001 Honda Civic Ex
52 Posts
If the motor isnt going back in a 7th gen civic, then i would suggest to not use it. Otherwise, i would say that it is a reliable motor and would be a lot of fun to turbo. i own a 7th gen EX with the A2 motor and even though mine is N/A it is a lot of fun and you can still get very good gas mileage with a nice tune when/if you decide to build your motor

·
Registered
Honda Civic
213 Posts
Only real reason to do a head swap is if you plan on doing a cam down the road. Not really much difference stock vs stock.

Stock rod's will hold 350 easily.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
213 Posts

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
213 Posts
It's whatever. I'm not gonna start a argument over 50 hp. I just wanted to state that they will hold more than 200-230. I'm around 200-210 on 8.5 psi and there's a guy in MD hitting 240 on 9 psi.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You're better off just getting a b16 swap or gsr swap. Same amount of hp, and more parts for b series. a2 will cost more if swapped into 92-00 civics.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Only real reason to do a head swap is if you plan on doing a cam down the road. Not really much difference stock vs stock.

Stock rod's will hold 350 easily.
The fuck you smoking?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
It's whatever. I'm not gonna start a argument over 50 hp. I just wanted to state that they will hold more than 200-230. I'm around 200-210 on 8.5 psi and there's a guy in MD hitting 240 on 9 psi.
psi doesnt matter, I can hoild 150psi if the turbo was small enough

240 is NOWHEERE Near 350

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Most likely it will be going into a 7th gen due to mount locations. ...and bahaha on 300+ hp d17... fyi I have a complete d17a2 Im willing to part with cheap...and turbo goods. Just saying... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts