Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 Honda Civic Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a head swap from an A1 to an A2 from an 02 EX. Everything sounds fine but the check engine light came on immediately at start. I dont yet have the EGR or VTEC solenoid wired up. I still have the A1 ECU in and wont get the A2 ECU in until tommorow. Could the cam sensor be throwing the CEL?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
the egr not hooked up throws a code

common sense. emissions equipment not seen by the ecu always sends a CEL your way

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
And you realize the car won't start with that fancy new A2 ECU until you drive the car over to a Honda dealership on the LX ECU, prove the car is yours, and once you hook up the EX ECU in their parking lot, they'll flash it so the key works with your new ECU's immobilizer code.

·
Registered
01 Honda Civic Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swap done

Swap successful! My buddy brought it to his work and reflashed the ECU for me. The CEL was the knock sensor not plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
01 Honda Civic Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The doner cars VIN, when ran through honda's system, can up as an A6 for engine. Did they ever release an EX with an A6?

·
Registered
01 Honda Civic Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't that difficult actually fairly straight forward. My buddy was also able to get me the pin outs i needed for the vtec and egr wiring which my dx harness lacked. This was both of our first head swaps. Our next project is a gutted CRX in my garage :).

·
Registered
01 Honda Civic Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a question on a crower stage 1 cam though. They claim 20-30whp gains from the cam. Is that possible for a cam to increase power that much??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts