Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Hatchback
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, is there a difference between the D17 A1 and A2 intake manifolds?

o.k. so i'm going to add a bit more info. I've been pretty interested in the plastic manifolds lately, mainly because of their lighter weight. I know there's a bit of work involved to adapt a d16 man. into a d17 and the other way around, but the weight savings from the plastic manifold is very tempting. I think I'm going to tackle this, which is why I was wondering if there is any difference between the A1 and A2 manifolds. Like the y7 and y8, I'm thinking maybe the A1 & A2 are different, but visually I can't tell.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
They're not any different and we're not looking at very much of a weight savings between say an allie Y8 mani and the plastic D17 that will outweigh the poor design of the D17 IM. 2-3 pounds at most.

The problem with the composite D17 IM is that it takes some serious bends and direction changes. In essence, it's a long tube NA manifold, however it forces the air to take an immediate 90° turn after the TB, scoots back and then makes a harsh 180° change of direction to flow back towards the head, followed by two 90° doglegs to go up and then towards the head again. While this may be decent to put a stumble in the air to provide a little better fuel atomization, that whole concept went out with carbs because of the fine spray that fuel injectors give to mix with the air stream.

Bottom is that I would not do it.

TB
|--------|
----|......|
......------

·
Registered
98 Hatchback
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the info. The manifold definately looks like a maze for the air stream, but its hard to see from the few pictures that I was able to find. Maybe the more turbulent air coupled with the thermal advantage from the plastic will allow a much cleaner burn and hence more mpg. Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
yeah, might as well do it and post the results! i'd be interested to see if this does yield anything aside from lighter weight.

if you really want weight reduction, run open header with no shocks and a tiny fuel cell in the back.

·
Registered
98 Hatchback
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the car will be my daily driver, I don't want it to look like a full blown race car. I'm more concerned with getting rid of weight from the engine bay. Removing the engine is not an option, although at that point it might become a nice soap box.

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
pull the ac and power steering. easy loss of more weight there than it would be to do all of that expensive modification to make intake manifolds interchangeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts