Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best location to mount one?

I'm hoping/planning on changing the radiator in my 89 accord LX-i, and I'd like to add in an A/T oil cooler at the same time.

*I'll probably be removing my A/C condenser at the same time, as I don't use it. Hasn't worked in over 10 years, and I don't care about it anyway.

Is it fine in front of the radiator, or is there a more protected area that will work just as well?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
in front of the radiator or where the condenser used to sit will be fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Like this!

But seriously, are you sure it doesn't have a trans cooler built into the radiator? If not, you may be able to get one with one since you said you are replacing the radiator already.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha! That's good.

Funny, all the shit you read online.

Yeah, I was told it wasn't worth it. I do abuse transmissions, engines...cars.

Not necessary, though. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Dont get a massive cooler. a 4-6 inch tall, 12-20 inch wide single or dual core cooler will be fine

What has it got, the A20 engine? Not like you can really abuse it too much lol

before you install the tranny cooler, connect a spare rubber hose, overfill the tranny 1-2 quarts, and run it out the cooler line (idling) while adding approx same amount via dipstick tube/hole. Get rid of all that old fluid! When shes coming out all fresh and new, then you can hook your new cooler up. and then do the usual top off when shes fully warm and idling.

drain and refill even 5 times in a row with 5-10 minutes of operation wont get 100% fluid changed.

We do these "modified" tranny flushes and get positive feedback from our customers all the time.

Once its been flushed out, do your tranny a favor, and do a single drain and refill with every engine oil change, if you drive it hard. The tranny will last a long damn time.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The radiator will have a built in cooler that will work just fine. If you insist on adding a cooler, add it inline with the radiator cooler.

TL Type S autos have a second cooler mounted in front of the condenser. P/N 25500-RDB-000

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts