Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, well i was gonna turbo my b16 and was looking at every way possible to make this SUPER reliable.

anyways, my question is...

i'm gonna be using a stock bottom end, would it make any sense to swap out my rod bolts for arp's to strengthen it up? just wondering. i'm swapping out to a full itr valvetrain as well.

and if i were to do this, would i have to replace my rod bearings as well? or could i just swap it bolt for bolt? i havent found any info on exactly what i'm looking for.

any input would help me out!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, since you're after reliability...for the piece of mind, why not? And since you're in there, why not new bearings? All in the name of reliability!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I dunno, just replacing one bolt at a time doesnt sound that good to me. taking off the caps, replacing the bolts and reusing the bearings doesnt sound as bad if there in good condition.

but really what are we talking about he as far as reliability. If your going to do something like that where your going to have to change the oil, get a new oil pan gasket, clean and reseal oil pick up just increase reliabiliy by a small fraction. you might as well same just save up and rebuild the bottem end.

I'm running a bone stock zc at 6psi. I thought b's could handle like 300 horse stock.....

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, its just something i've been thinking about lately.

but guest is right, i might as well just rebuild for all that trouble.

but it still makes me think. cause i could do this while the motor is still in the car.

and i've been researching some turbo stock b16a2 setups, the max seems to be around the 325whp range.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
on a b16 doubt the rod bolts will really be holding you back. I bet you crack a ringland or two before you have any problem with the rod bolts

·
Registered
438 Posts
not a senior member but you are correct.... i would not recommend installed arp bolt while in the car. if you are going to for reliability, have the rods resized after the bolt install. this will ensure they are perfectly round and not distorted.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Do the rebuild, me personally I just put on ARP rod bolts with new race bearings in my new build. I would take the engine out to do it if I was you. Do it right the first time so your not kicking your'self in the balls later.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
I'd say if what others have said if your going to change the bearings, rod bolts. IMO you might as well take the pistons out and get em ceramic coated while your there. But that's just me.

Which b16 do you have?
And what pistons does it have? the pr3's

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^^ if your going to do all that you might as well do rings. well I guess you could take out the crank and not have to dot the rings.

If its a good motor: compression, oil pressure, no knocking, etc. etc. I wouldnt even fuck with it. If anything do arp head studs.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
out of all the turbo d16's ive seen in life, i have yet to see any of the rod bolts break...not saying they dont. But not realyl what id be worried abuot, How much are rod bolts? $100-130?. For $400 you can have vitara pistons, rings, and SRM H beam rods, and bearings. haha just trying to send you the good way !!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
out of all the turbo d16's ive seen in life, i have yet to see any of the rod bolts break...not saying they dont. But not realyl what id be worried abuot, How much are rod bolts? $100-130?. For $400 you can have vitara pistons, rings, and SRM H beam rods, and bearings. haha just trying to send you the good way !!!

B16 not d16...Really i wouldnt bother putting in just ARP rod bolts. Just wait until you do a full build and your rods will come wth good bolts, otherwise youre wasting your time imho

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
SUPER reliable

ok, well i was gonna turbo my b16 and was looking at every way possible to make this SUPER reliable.
If you want to make your engine SUPER reliable in every way possible, then you should replace/rebuild the entire bottom end not just the rod bolts which is basically what every response has tried to say so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts