Honda D Series Forum banner
1281 - 1292 of 1292 Posts

· Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,281 ·
As much as I wanted to use that as my primary shift knob, i had it in the civic for a while but the sun absolutely tore it up... it has a billion tiny hairline cracks internal to the handle plastic. One good bang shift and she'd shatter into oblivion.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,282 ·
ATI damper came in today:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports equipment

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Machine Recreation

Automotive tire Wood Gear Bicycle part Auto part

Watch Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel

Also ordered a bunch of random little things from NAPA to button up more of the little odds and ends on the B series:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Circle Number

And ordered these from ebay:
Yellow Amber Font Material property Jewellery

Cosmetics Tool Font Rectangle Auto part

The helicoils because M12x1.25 is rare locally, I only have M12x1.5 and 1.75 flavors, and I need to repair the threaded mounting holes in the transmission mount.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,283 ·
Bearings came back from WPC. The crankshaft steel facing surface of the bearings look wild, it completely transformed the appearance of the metal.

If anyone knows what the ACL race series bearings look like when they come out of the package, its like a dark grey/black tarnished looking surface. The WPC treatment essentially made that disappear:

Hand Automotive tire Finger Gadget Drink

Drinkware Nail Plastic Adhesive Transparency

Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Tints and shades Auto part

I'm looking forward to getting these out of the shrink wrap and down into the engine!

I'll likely head outside later and tinker a bit before bed, so more pics coming!

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,285 ·
What did that service run? They are actually out in my neck of the woods and I've got a few canidates for it currently, some reason looming rescion has people drooling to get their toys done.
It was $4 per half shell, so 18 shells = $72, plus shipping there and back.

Here's their common parts list and pricing. Though if you have something uncommon you want done, you can call them and/or submit an inquiry via email, and they'll let you know how much it will be.
Font Material property Parallel Paper Illustration

Here's a really cool article that justifies the service:
Newspaper Sleeve Font Publication Goggles

Tire Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,288 ·
Crank and bearings in:
Gas Engineering Wood Machine Nut

Rod and mains torqued, installed crank scraper to check clearances:
Gas Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Wood Crankset Gas

Will need to trim the stock windage tray a bit here to clear these 3 fasteners on the IJ crank scraper:
Photograph Wood Automotive exterior Auto part Close-up

Light Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Also need to fit and clearance the teflon:
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part Bumper Machine

Crank scraper came with these additional shapes, took me a minute to figure out where they should go. They are designed to attach to the IJ scraper in order to section off the windage area between cylinders, preventing turbulent gas flow movement between different cylinders in the crankcase, to control the amount of windage inside the tray, and to minimize crankcase side pumping losses and overall turbulance. Pretty cool idea!
Wood Office supplies Art Font Tool

Also got a ton of BR swag from buying this ATI damper. Yes, ATI includes a sticker of their actual dampers as part of their decal pack that comes inside the box lol
Font Office equipment Table Handwriting Office supplies

Font Camera lens Peripheral Circle Logo

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,289 ·
Got the IJ crank scraper installed. This was like a 4 hour affair, for the curious.

Installing the 5 separators that came in a baggie, loctiting and snugging down the fasteners, installing and checking clearance, then installing the teflon blades, checking initial clearance and contact points with layout fluid, carving and shaping them, then checking clearance again, then loctiting and snugging down those fasteners... then modifying the stock windage tray to clear the IJ, yeah, it was a lot.

BUT, it is a very clever contraption, and will work amazing. It is absolutely purpose built for this, the craftsmanship towards the details tells all. Hard to explain what this means without seeing it in person, since getting a close look at all the hidden stuff you cant see or take a picture of when its installed is hard to describe lol.

Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic instrument Auto part Gas

Gas Machine Engineering Auto part Nut

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering Automotive design

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
B series axles came in, I honestly dont know how some ebay vendors make money. Brand new axles with axle nuts, $80 shipped UPS from cali to me, a 27lb package.
Interior design Material property Plumbing Gas Lamp

Hood Automotive tire Wood Bumper Rectangle

Took the Type R oil pump apart to pack full of white lithium grease, and get ready for install. Didnt have any white lithium lol, need to do a parts store run. It will be installed to the block later tonight.
Wood Auto part Font Engineering Bicycle part

Installed the rear main seal holder and seal:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

Also threw a straight edge across the D series head, yup its flat. Cant fit a .0015" feeler blade between gaps, and it always drags when pinched, so she can be reused.
Bumper Gas Wood Machine Automotive exterior

Also started fitting the exhaust manifold 90° and T fittings to the flange. Did some measuring, found out how much and where to cut the fittings to make it butt up flush, and align with the flange reliefs. Will get the rest cut, then chamfered in order to weld a good root, then get tacked together tonight and get the backpurge jig ready to go.
Wood Auto part Gas Metal Art

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,291 ·
Bad Guys oil pump finally taken apart, inspected, hot tanked, cleaned and relubed. She looks good aside from one piece of something that carved a single shallow groove in the housing. In either case, will put back together and pack with white lithium to get ready for reinstallation.
Gas Engineering Auto part Machine Circle

Oil pump also installed to B series and ready to go:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

I wasnt expecting this, nowhere on the IJ website did it say I might need to mod the oil pickup to fit. Had to cut and narrow the leg, then put a window in it to get it to clear the IJ plate and the stock windage tray, since the whole assembly moved up about 1/16". Regardless, the IJ scraper is definitely no plug and play affair. You just need to be ready to adapt things where needed to get it all to fit.
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Gear Rim

Wood Automotive tire Crankset Gear Bicycle part

Wood Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,292 ·
Got D series Bad Guys pump reassembled and packed with lithium grease, ready to be reinstalled whenever I rebuild the D.

Some more custom odds and ends wrapped up on B series tonight. Had to build a bracket that held/put a little pressure aganst the aluminum plug covering the black box hole, it didnt come with one in the kit.
Household hardware Wood Gear Bicycle part Screw

Removed a bunch of intake manifold hose fittings that I wont be using, and welded them all shut. Booster hose, FITV passages, a random hole and nipple on the front of the intake, as well as the evap recirc hose near the TB.
Bicycle part Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Gas Wood Technology Auto part Machine

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Sculpture Auto part Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Gas Automotive exterior

Also knocked the 1mm edge off the throttle body opening with a hand file, to ease the transition from 62mm to 60mm.

Before:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Engineering

After:
Camera lens Automotive lighting Lens Gas Reflex camera

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1281 - 1292 of 1292 Posts