Honda D Series Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1292 Posts

· Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,241 ·
What size master will you be running with that booster delete?
According to Honed, they say pair the MC according to front rotor size:
  • Equal to or greater than 282mm, or BBKs - 7/8"
  • Less than 282mm - 13/16"
Since I'm 310mm front rotors and wilwood 6 piston, I'll go with 7/8"

This kit changes the stock pedal ratio to 6:1, a bit better for manual brakes. And with the wilwood BP40 pads installed for the Dragon getting to try them on the street, the initial bite is honestly pretty intense with the booster, it upsets the car easily. You can tell those pads were intended for manual brakes. It'll be nice to regain linear modulation with this mod!

· Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,632 Posts
The few deletes I've done were customer supplied cheapies that provided no useful info on master cylinder sizing, lol. Caused me a few headaches before I figured out bigger is NOT better when it comes to manual brakes.😅

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,244 ·
Omg... its fucking AMAZING!

The mounting points were something a few of us were worried about, but I can confidently say after installing it, once all fasteners are snug, its just so well braced, triangulated and supported across the mounting locations, it becomes a rigid assembly with VERY LITTLE flex. Confirmed I'm able to hang off the wing with no issues.

Just look at it...

Keyboard Musical keyboard Wood Table Electronic instrument

Musical instrument Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

My sunroof plug fasteners double as small vortex generators for the air across the top rear of the car!!

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Brown Wood Hood Automotive exterior Trunk

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle

Cant wait....

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,245 ·
Wilwood brake fluid and new 7/8" master cylinder came in. I have everything to finish the booster delete, and refresh the brake fluid across all lines and calipers on the car. Stopping by hardware store on the way home to see if I can find bushings for the brake pedal. I have a good idea on how to make that pivot a solid metal pivot, as well as install a greaseable service fitting on it.

Ordered the 70lb Supertech valve springs and retainers today, should be here next week sometime.

Block will be done next week, so I can go pick it up and begin:
  • Shortblock assembly
  • Exhaust manifold fabrication
She's coming together pretty quickly, I'm dang excited to have this B series up and running!

Will work on more dashboard stuff tonight too. Pics coming.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,246 ·
Got the custom brake pedal bushing installed. Its no longer supported by a small amount of nylon at the ends of a sleeve, it has a solid metal sleeve supported by a film of wheel bearing grease, and its serviceable!

Here's the old pedal and bushing setup: spacer and bolt go through the pedal and mounting bracket, and those small nylon spacers support the actual pedal against the center spacer that runs the length of the hole, leaving the entire center tube of the pedal itself unsupported (not great load distribution!):

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Engineering Auto part

Finger Wood Engineering Machine Gas

Since this car is getting converted to manual brakes and will be romped on hard at the track, I wanted to add a bushing that ran the length of the pedal, so it could be supported the entire length of the pedal tube, so nylon bushings arent getting murdered!

This is what I came up with. I couldnt find a bushing the right size, so I made one out of a piece of pipe I bought at Lowes. Used an angle grinder to cut a slit down the length of pipe, squished the slit shut in the vise, and massaged it back to round in the vise as well, until the pipe would slide inside the inner diameter of the pedal tube with a bit of a press fit, just barely. Once the custom bushing was the right size, the center spacer from the original pedal/bushing setup was able to very lightly press inside the custom bushing:

Wood Finger Household hardware Gas Cosmetics

Hand Wood Finger Gas Engineering

Hand Bicycle fork Finger Bicycle part Bicycle frame

Knowing this would now be a metal on metal scuff item now, it needed to keep some grease between the custom bushing and the oem spacer. I didn't want to have to take the pedal out everytime to regrease the bushing, so I added some grease fittings to the thrust bearing side of the brake pedal tube:

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Checking for grease fitting clearance and making sure where the true thrust size of the pedal tube is:

Motor vehicle Gesture Bumper Watch Automotive tire

Bumper Trunk Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags Automotive exterior

Gesture Finger Wrist Nail Thumb

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Bumper Gas

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,247 ·
Wood Bicycle part Gas Engineering Metal

Handheld power drill Tire Saw Vise Wood

Wood Gas Machine Engineering Eyewear

Finger Automotive tire Wood Audio equipment Gas

Wood Gas Cylinder Bicycle part Auto part

Used a dremel to cut down those fittings inside the bushing so they rounded with the inner diameter of the bushing. Then gave them each a tack weld for good measure:

Eyewear Revolver Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

Wood Gas Household hardware Engineering Machine

Dont throw away the old nylon bushings! Grind them down to make washers out of them, they are the perfect thickness to space the assembly inside the pedal bracket!

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Bicycle part Wood

Checking for accessibility with the grease gun:

Wood Bumper Auto part Wire Metal

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,249 ·
These things came in from Burton Racing, they actually have amazing prices on maintenance type items like gaskets, water pumps, etc.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Circle

Also welded up an adjustable throttle pedal stop:

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Gas

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Wood Bumper Tool Gas Engineering

Bicycle part Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Wood Auto part Motor vehicle Machine Eyewear

When the pedal assembly is bolted down, its solid as a rock! You can whack the pedal, and it doesnt move once it hits the stop (didnt have the adjuster bolt tight in the gif, thats why it wiggles a bit). Should work out pretty good.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,251 ·
That's confidence right there, knowing you may need to mechanically limit your engine in order to keep yourself on the track 😃
Hahaha some initial d shit right there lol
Nose Face Head Chin Eyebrow

Sky Atmosphere World Font Flash photography

Jaw Gesture Art Eyelash Electric blue

Neck Jaw Sleeve Gesture Art

In my case, for preventing the throttle cable from breaking lmao.

These cars stock, the carpet, sound deadening, and floor mats are the natural throttle pedal stop hahaha. With none of that in my car, the pedal still has about an inch and a half of travel before the firewall, and could still be pushed to the floor if you did it hard enough! The poor throttle cable :(

A lot of times that was a big part of my hesitation to mat the pedal firmly, didnt want to snap throttle cable!

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,253 ·
Thinking about getting the main and rod bearings a WPC treatment. Thoughts?

I would get the crank done too, but I just can't afford that right now lol. Maybe next teardown/rebuild, might also look into doing crank and bearings for the D series, any little bit helps!

Obviously I'm no where near these power levels, but these guys claim good results with WPC vs not. Also, a fantastic read of what happens at the limit when pushing the B series architecture:

· Formerly weebeastie
2,076 Posts
Thinking about getting the main and rod bearings a WPC treatment. Thoughts?

I would get the crank done too, but I just can't afford that right now lol. Maybe next teardown/rebuild, might also look into doing crank and bearings for the D series, any little bit helps!

Obviously I'm no where near these power levels, but these guys claim good results with WPC vs not. Also, a fantastic read of what happens at the limit when pushing the B series architecture:

I don't think it can hurt. Rebuilds coming each full "off season", so I think bearings by themselves should be good. Probably should source a couple of back up blocks too, since the CRX thing is blowing up so sharply and the desire for swappable b16's goes up again.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,255 ·
Picked up the B series block and pistons today, they did a great job. I can finally start short block assembly! Also ordered a B series starter motor, cause I didnt have one of those.

Also ordered a proper straight edge from Summit racing, $45 for a 2' one, been wanting one for a long time. Can check the deck and head surface of the D series and see if I need to get them surfaced again, crossing fingers no! If not, then I'll hone it myself, get crank micropolished, put new bearings and rings and rock and roll, and will be ready for next season.

Gonna try this evening to get out to the garage and tinker, will take and post some pics if I do!

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,257 ·
Finished tearing the D series down and specing the block.

@Oldcivicjoe's crank held up, still spec'd good just needs a micropolish, and the balancer came off without much fuss! Everything looks good, balancer bolt, keyway, keys, etc.

If you guys dont remember what I had to do to repair the keyway to use this Z6 crank, here's some reminder pics. I was completely expecting bolt balancer and keys not to come off very easily, but it surprised me!

Musical instrument Wood Gas Bumper Tool

Hand Automotive tire Household hardware Wood Finger

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Circle

Finger Household hardware Wood Gas Thumb

Gesture Finger Terrestrial plant Wrist Thumb

Timing belt still has at least another season or so out of it

Automotive tire Metalworking hand tool Electrical wiring Engineering Pliers

Thrust washers look perfect still

Finger Nail Engineering Thumb Wrist

Block overall condition looks fantastic

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Font

I'll do the Bad Guys oil pump teardown in a couple days, to see how the rotors faired.

Used my new straight edge on the deck surface, its perfect still, cant fit a .0015" blade under it at any point, and sitting the edge on the blade and doing a drag test, its got drag, so I'm not concerned about the deck at all. I'll hone it myself with a 3 stone drill hone, and roll.

Aside from the deck, I did measure and blueprint the cylinders for knowledge sake, and here's where things stand:

Brown Shoe Wood Handwriting Rectangle

From left to right:

First sticky note indicates how many thou I was away from my bore gauge 0 set point (which was almost 3"), at the top, middle and bottom of bore, measuring twice with bore gauge being parallel and intersecting of the crankshaft centerline.

From that, you get the second sticky note, the calc of actual measurement of the bore at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees top, middle and bottom.

Once you determine your actuals, you can calc bore average top, middle and bottom, as shown in the 3rd sticky note.

Then once you know your top, middle and bottom averages, you can calc your bore taper, as shown in the 4th sticky note. Only cylinder #1 for whatever reason has a taper that is backwards what it should be. Taper should get a tiny bit tighter at the top of cylinder compared to bottom, but not #1! Its 2 thou bigger at top than bottom lol. I'm not really worried about it though.

You can also determine out of round with the numbers from sticky note #2, as shown in sticky notes #5 and 6. #5 is actual out of round, top middle and bottom of cylinders. #6 is average out of round for the cylinder. With the worst actual measurement being .0015", I should be able to bring OOR back at or below .001 for even the worst offending cylinder with a simple 3 stone hone from HF.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·
Now on to exploring the B series block. Fresh from machine shop!

Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

Started measuring things right away, verifying piston to wall clearance.

Office equipment Wood Gas Computer hardware Technology

Handwriting Light Line Font Material property

The wiseco paperwork specified a nomimal base P2W for these pistons of .003", plus provided an informative leaflet with additions/subtractions to the base value based on application specific usage.

I figured out that the wiseco recommemded additions/subtractions ended up as follows:
  • Medium boost 15-30lbs - Add .001"
  • Road Race - Add .001 - .0015"
  • Aluminum Block - Subtract .001 - .002"
Nomimal + Boost + Road Race + Aluminum Block equaled:

= .003 + .001 + .0013avg, - .0015avg
= .0038" recommended application specific clearance

Actual P2W after measuring the pistons and the bore sizing in the same way that I did the D series in the last post, I have a .0031" P2W average. A bit on the tighter side of the recommendations, but whats 7 ten thou among friends lol. I'm pretty sure a pube has a bigger diameter than that hahaha.

Notice in the sticky note, bore diameter and taper is money shot, perfectly round and has .0005" taper in the right way, top to bottom. Machinist wasnt f'ing around lol.

He washed the block, and its ready to begin reassembly.

I covered this a while back, but I'm getting rid of those main studs, going back to main bolts cause the distortion of the mains was too much for comfort and no one around me wanted to touch trying to line bore steel caps on aluminum block. Apparently it takes special tooling to prevent the line boring tool from wanting to walk towards the aluminum, and no one around here is outfit to deal with it, so back to bolts. Anyone need main studs for a B series? Otherwise they become $90 paperweights lol.

Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Machine Metal

Also checked the pistons and their weight. Wiseco balances them and writes the gram weight on the piston before boxing them up as a set. They arent dicking around, when they say a piston is 284 grams, they mean it haha. ALL of them were like this, just plopping them on the scale, bang on, within .1 gram

Kitchen appliance Audio equipment Stove Tableware Gas

For fun, since I'm not ready to marry these two quite yet, but just to see... the piston/rod combo looks amazing

Wood Gas Tool Household hardware Machine

Microphone Netbook Gas Wood Audio equipment

· Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,260 ·
B series starter motor came in, excellent quality for the price!!

Watch Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Got the valve springs and retainers installed, along with the rocker arm and shaft assemblies:

Motor vehicle Camshaft Gas Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Gas Engineering Machine Motor vehicle Auto part

Was gearing up to measure bearing oil clearances for the B, and while I had the mics out I also checked the @Oldcivicjoe D series crank. Freaking still in spec lmao:

Brown Handwriting Font Material property Post-it note

Pulled the treadstone DIY log manifold parts out of their box, for whatever reason the flange shipped separately and will be here Monday? In either case, its pieced together with excellent quality stuff:

Brown Font Gas Audio equipment Wood

Also, randomly enough leaving work, a few members of the HR team were dollying a mini fridge down a hallway I was walking in, and they randomly said "Hey! You look like the kinda guy who needs a mini fridge! Want this one?" Im like "umm, every guy is the kinda guy who needs a mini fridge! Whats the catch? Does it work?"

Apparently the CEO of the company just wanted it out of his office to reduce clutter. Every conference room in our new building has mini fridges already among other things, so they were wheeling this bad boy to the trash!! Its a freaking nice one too, its like 1/4 the size of my actual fridge at home! So was an exciting freebee lol

Wood Floor Flooring Audio equipment Gas

Gas Wood Major appliance Machine Metal

1241 - 1260 of 1292 Posts