Honda D Series Forum banner
1141 - 1155 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,143 ·
2" core rad came in today, along with splitter quick release brackets. Will start on duct work and splitter install soon.

Automotive tire Wood Tool Toolroom Machine tool

All the gear came in as well, suit, shoes, gloves. Installed the HANS posts to the helmet, and got it adjusted per the manual:

Helmet Hard hat Headgear Engineering Gas

Automotive design Grey Automotive tire Motorcycle Carbon

Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Luggage and bags Grey

The wife modelling the full gear outfit haha

Helmet Sleeve Textile Sports gear Breastplate

Also found a cool spark plug gapper today:

Green Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,480 Posts
The wife modelling the full gear outfit haha

Helmet Sleeve Textile Sports gear Breastplate
now the head boards gonna get all dented up,,oh well better than the wifes head I suppose ..

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,146 ·
Got @Soul Engineering's shop sticker on grey car for an additional 40hp

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Installed the removable splitter brackets and started mocking things up to inspect clearance and any other issues. Test plywood FTW, finally splitter will be same height as the side skirts, 3.5" from ground:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Grass Bumper

Going to use the Devsport chin splitter as the stencil for the new and improved Home Depot garden and lumber department racing version.

It will look almost identical to the current Devsport one, winglets and all, except much lower, with a proper air dam and real turnbuckles with hardware and fastening points strong enough to stand on.

Looking into cooling system ducting options as well. Going to incorporate the headlight area as part of the inlet, and have the radiator cocked sideways to allow for airflow from a few different places.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive parking light Automotive design

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Repositioning the rad diagonal like that moves it away from the downpipe a bit more which is good, and will allow me to better provide front side ducting to it.

Might even build a scoop between the bumper and the splitter to duct air to the rad from underneath as well. Will build headlight duct out of fiberglass to direct airflow towards the rad as needed.

Hopefully opening all of this up helps!

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,119 Posts
Have you got a shroud and a decent fan on it? Worked wonders on lowering temps on my car. I used 3mm aluminium sheet, bent the ends down to space it off the fins (approx 10mm airgap) then stitch welded it top and bottom the tanks and ran foam along the sides. Cut a hole for the rad fan and get a branded fan to slap on it. You can also use heat film on the back of the shroud to further deflect direct heat sources and prevent heatsoak.

If you sit the rad back from the grill, make sure the entrance to the rad is sealed from the engine bay, or it'll just be recirculating hot engine bay air.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,148 ·
Have you got a shroud and a decent fan on it? Worked wonders on lowering temps on my car. I used 3mm aluminium sheet, bent the ends down to space it off the fins (approx 10mm airgap) then stitch welded it top and bottom the tanks and ran foam along the sides. Cut a hole for the rad fan and get a branded fan to slap on it. You can also use heat film on the back of the shroud to further deflect direct heat sources and prevent heatsoak.

If you sit the rad back from the grill, make sure the entrance to the rad is sealed from the engine bay, or it'll just be recirculating hot engine bay air.
No shroud, will be building one though! A mix of fiberglass for complex ducting shapes, and just sheet aluminum to butt up against the rad.

Will also make sure shroud is tight to front of car and rad itself!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,150 ·
Also started installing the fire suppression system. Ran out of tubing and was only able to get the driver side nozzle plumbed, engine bay nozzle will have to wait.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Leisure

Wood Flooring Gas Auto part Tool

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Tank mounted:

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Engine bay nozzle positioning. After spraying some water and pressurized air through it to determine the spray pattern and spread, it comes out the tip in a cone shape at about a 30° angle. Mounting it here and pointed in this way provides reach and coverage over the fuel rail and injectors, the entire exhaust manifold and turbo area, and some passenger side protection. Nozzle turned up or pointed any higher, and the fan out from three nozzle causes direct collision with the hood, preventing full coverage across the engine:

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood

Motor vehicle Auto part Electric blue Automotive design Engineering

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Exterior extinguisher pull lever and electrical cutoff switch position:

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Plant

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,153 ·
The last of the reliable chevys unfortunately, very nice buy. I dig the side mounted ramps and raised tounge on the car trailer, most of them aren't friendly to our hondas without some modification.
I'm excited, this 2013 was the last year before going Ecotec3, its a 1 owner from Texas and only has 36.7k miles on it!

I know all the pattern failures on this guy, which is comfort in its own right haha. It should give me at least another 70k miles of service with just normal fluid changes (maybe a water pump thrown in lol) before anything major might happen.

Plan on using it to get to and from tracks in the area, as well as camping with the family, maybe beach trips too. It should serve its purpose well!

The trailer is so nice, the guy I bought it from his dad built it. Very low deck height, to the point when the hitch is raised only a bit with the tongue jack, I can manually leg press green car up it all the way with relative ease.

Need to redo the lighting on it, mount the winch, battery, inverter, and wire it up for a 7 way connector to use the trucks ground and 12v supply for some coming awesomeness. Doesn't have trailer brakes, but the truck stops it well with only the civic on it.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,332 Posts
Doesn't have trailer brakes
That trans will easily engine brake the civic, but anything much heavier will tax the brakes, check the axles, most come with backing plate mounting, should be a relatively cheap and quick endeavor to add brakes to one axle, and the truck should have the built in electronic brake controller, works better than most aftermarket newer offerings.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,155 ·
check the axles, most come with backing plate mounting
So, remember how you said this?

A quick glance, the front axle already has drums and electric brakes, they've just never been used haha.

Freebie!

It's been a while since I've had time to actually work on stuff not work or household related. Being sick, kids having been sick, wife starting work from home, its been NUTS the last two weeks haha.

But, I did find time this weekend to mow the lawn among other things.

Did a test run at setting up camp, to see how the AC would work starting the cooling process from 98 degree heat trying to cool things without insulating the tent area. It did AMAZING, the little window unit after about an hour pulled all the humidity out and had the interior temp down to a comfortable much drier 75-78 degrees in direct sunlight. Using 6 buckets full of water as corner anchors (est. 270lbs) so I don't have to haul the weight with me, I can just fill them up at the track at a water spigot, then dump them out before going home.

Plant Tent Tarpaulin Sky Tree

Tent Tree Shade Land lot Grass

Tent Shade Grey Water Rectangle

Once the sun started going down, it got COLD in there! Will be plenty to keep cool trackside in August, and sleep comfortably. This generator on eco mode is also amazing, very quiet! 8 hours run time on 1 gallon of fuel. Ran the setup for about 4 hours, didnt even use 1/4 tank of fuel. AC unit by itself only pulls 400 running watts on full blast.

Also started refreshing the trailer, wiring in the trailer brakes, new lighting, going to build removable fenders, and just pressure washing it and repainting certain areas. Will also mount the winch and battery up front.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grass Rectangle

Outdoor bench Plant Leaf Wood Outdoor furniture

Next up on the car, home depot front splitter, radiator duct work, engine bay sealing, looping in the fender mounted engine oil cooler to be a water to air cooler for engine oil, finishing off the fire suppression, battery cutoffs and alternator charge cable rewiring.

1141 - 1155 of 1155 Posts