Honda D Series Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,480 Posts
Checking to see what print layer quality I might expect from this printer on high quality, its not bad.

Printed a test hollow cube open on one end with scale features the end nylon or PETG one will have, and its pretty good.

View attachment 141275

View attachment 141276

View attachment 141277

View attachment 141278

View attachment 141279

Now I just need to draw the real part lol. Its going to be a two piece design, with a tongue and groove configuration. It will make sense as to why when you see it fully drawn up haha
all this hassle.just cut the end off a 4 liter jug and jam it on top of the box and best tape you got it on there ever can make a screw on hose ..
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,102 ·
all this hassle.just cut the end off a 4 liter jug and jam it on top of the box and best tape you got it on there ever can make a screw on hose ..
View attachment 141285
That's actually an awesome idea!

If I'm ever stuck on an remote island with this car, and I need to vent crankcase gasses, I'll totally MacGyver this!

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,332 Posts
I propose a test using aeros recirc system, a gm fuel tank pressure sensor in the breather box for data, test recirc system, then run exhaust draft style instead of intake draft, then try it with the open draft tube system, see which gives lower pressure at full boost. Whichever wins gets adapted for grey car and dialed in.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,105 ·
Why not make it out of sheets of alloy? It'll certainly be more durable. Use a piece of cardboard to create a net diagram, lay it down on a piece of sheet alloy, cut it out with a grinder, bend it up and tig it.

Or lasercut it if you've got access to CAD.
Cause 3d printer lol.... I've wanted to make SOMETHING with this device for this car, and this fits the bill as a trial haha.

Backed out of doing nylon, going PETG instead. Got a green translucent fiberglass resin filament, the final product will have my company's logo embossed in the front lmao, my sad attempt to try and get sponsored by my workplace haha. Company logo is green and orange, the owner and the owner's son both race in Porsche Car Club of America, and have some sick ass cars. Enough said.

Got the drawings mocked up, this print bed is only 7 inches at its highest dimension, so I'm making the final piece tongue and groove with two halves that fit into each other.

Started printing on low quality, did a trial run to see how well it would print the lower slot groove and ended up needing to abort the print because I should have added some supports... either way, mock ups in PLA plain white, then on to the PETG.

Here's the PETG color:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Rim Automotive wheel system

Left side of the hat:
Product Rectangle Azure Font Personal computer

Right side of the hat with the nipple for a 2.5" coupler:
Product Rectangle Graphics software Screenshot Font

Slicer doing its thing on left side hat
Computer Personal computer Laptop Rectangle Graphics software

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern Glass

Going to town (the GIF is glitching lol):
Bumper Automotive tire Red Audio equipment Gadget

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Am I going to get to follow tests on aero? If not I might have to preform my own, this mk3 power plant is getting me excited.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I propose a test using aeros recirc system, a gm fuel tank pressure sensor in the breather box for data, test recirc system, then run exhaust draft style instead of intake draft, then try it with the open draft tube system, see which gives lower pressure at full boost.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,110 ·
Oh yeah lmao... yes.

I have a pressure transducer that works on the inches of water column scale, i'll just use that dude :) same as a FTP sensor basically!

I also have a manual tubed magnehelic, if we want to get all back in the Thomas Edison days about it too haha.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,842 Posts
Just gonna leave this right here..........you know..........just to look at..........think about...........start planning.....ahem I mean, you know for evaluation purposes and such.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,112 ·
Dude, watching that guy struggle with "the surge" makes me so excited to get this NA B16 going with a well matched transmission. The whole time I'm like "Damnit! You could go through that corner so much faster if you didnt have so much damn power!!" haha

I have a feeling that a well tuned NA setup would be just as fast at that thing and way more fun and balanced in the corners!

That is a sick car though, to have 400whp turbo as a track car that can stay cool on full song is amazing.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,113 ·
Got lots done on grey car over the weekend, but wasn't fast enough to have had time to go hang out with @Soul Engineering and see his new shop, yet!

It's coming along though, just lots of tedious stuff trying to get right.

New temp gauge harnesses are created and ran, ready for sensor installation into the adapters.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Fluid Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Gas

Circuit component Finger Communication Device Gadget Wood

Also finishing the conversion to COP while I'm at it, fully removed the Prelude external coil and igniter setup, harness ran alongside gauge harnesses:

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Automotive super charger part

Forgot that I need to mod these Pro Seal head gaskets with a stepper bit to accept the 11mm studs lol.

Wood Machine Engineering Auto part Office equipment

Table Wood Food Gas Ingredient

Wood Flooring Gas Window Hardwood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,118 ·
So on to crankcase vent hat V2 lol.

My original boxy shape didn't account for the battery cutoff switch mounted against the cowl once the breather box waa installed in its home, since again I prototyped with a part off the car lol, left that detail out.

So I changed the design, this time hugging the breather filters tighter on the backside, with a recess to allow clearance for the cutoff switch.

Drew up the rough overhead sketch from the looking down viewpoint with some quick measurements, then printed just an 8mm extrusion hollowed out example so I could see how it would sit down over top of the filters and clear the switch:

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

Worked pretty good! The design is still going to be a two parter, since I couldnt fit even the slimmed down version within the print space on this printer.

Got it all drawn and rendered, with nipple on the right side for the silicone coupler, and the tongue and grooves. You can see the two fit together in wireframe view:

Computer Personal computer Rectangle Font Output device

Computer Personal computer Output device Font Gadget

Photograph Computer Light Personal computer Rectangle

Computer Personal computer Output device Rectangle Graphics software

Printing now, it will take all night lol:

Electronic instrument Engineering Art Machine Office equipment

Tomorrow looks to be a shite day, with high winds and like an inch of snow, but is supposed to be clear by the afternoon, so hopefully I'll be able to get back on Grey car.

Still need another 5 M8x1.25 helicoil inserts, only have 4 on hand in the shed. Will make a trip to the store at some point so I can finish getting the turbo mounted.

I did put 8 gallons of 93 in the tank as well, we're getting closer!!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,842 Posts
So on to crankcase vent hat V2 lol.

My original boxy shape didn't account for the battery cutoff switch mounted against the cowl once the breather box waa installed in its home, since again I prototyped with a part off the car lol, left that detail out.

So I changed the design, this time hugging the breather filters tighter on the backside, with a recess to allow clearance for the cutoff switch.

Drew up the rough overhead sketch from the looking down viewpoint with some quick measurements, then printed just an 8mm extrusion hollowed out example so I could see how it would sit down over top of the filters and clear the switch:

View attachment 141415

View attachment 141416

Worked pretty good! The design is still going to be a two parter, since I couldnt fit even the slimmed down version within the print space on this printer.

Got it all drawn and rendered, with nipple on the right side for the silicone coupler, and the tongue and grooves. You can see the two fit together in wireframe view:

View attachment 141417

View attachment 141418

View attachment 141419

View attachment 141420

Printing now, it will take all night lol:

View attachment 141421

Tomorrow looks to be a shite day, with high winds and like an inch of snow, but is supposed to be clear by the afternoon, so hopefully I'll be able to get back on Grey car.

Still need another 5 M8x1.25 helicoil inserts, only have 4 on hand in the shed. Will make a trip to the store at some point so I can finish getting the turbo mounted.

I did put 8 gallons of 93 in the tank as well, we're getting closer!!
Shoot, just drive it here in the snow already lol!!!

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,119 Posts
Are those keys blind holes in the female side? They're going to be a pain in your ass. A better alternative to keep the parts located is run an internal lip around the full perimeter and space it off by half a mm so there's clearance to compensate for the the part distortion. See how you go with it, but something like this will be easier to work with:

Rectangle Font Wood Art Drawing

1101 - 1120 of 1155 Posts