Honda D Series Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1049 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,021 ·
Emailed Ishihara-Johnson with a request to purchase a Teflon B16 crank scraper.

If you've not seen this before, the "whitepaper" they provide in the "What is a crank scraper" section is an amazing read, if you have time I highly recommend! Here's the link to that section:

Amazing engine theory on full display there. The line that got me the most was as follows:

" It is not unusual for a quart or more of oil to be suspended in the cloud at high rpms in many engines."

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
Kevin Johnson called me, and i went ahead and placed the order for a teflon crank scraper. He had all the pieces in stock and ready to ship, so I should get that at some point within a week.

Had some time to work in the garage last night, got some decent progress made.

Installed the main studs to the block, and just finger tightened the bolts. Will be ready to go to machine shop for align hone and boring when I get pistons:

Bolts:
Wood Font Gas Bicycle part Auto part

Studs:
Wood Bicycle part Crankset Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wood Gas

Got the GSR lower case half cleaned, bearing bores hand cleaned with oil and scotchbrite, flange hand cleaned with razor blade, oil and scotchbrite, all fasteners and components cleaned and dried in solvent and ready to go back together:

Wood Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Machine

Wood Shipping box Font Rectangle Eyewear

Will start the gearset rebuilds tonight, maybe, if I can get back outside again lol:

Wood Gear Font Auto part Gas

Cleaned the rocker follower pads I had with solvent for closer inspection. All of them looked alright, with the exception of 1, and possibly one other. All of those will get replaced with the replacements I have coming:

Light Gas Auto part Household hardware Cylinder

The stock cam lobes were honestly amazing, none had scratches or galling, they all looked beautifully polished like this one lobe set:

Wood Gas Cylinder Publication Metal

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,026 ·
Back to the D.

So having not been able to find anything in the head or the block (block looks fantastic, no visible fractures or anything, I'm going to have the machine shop pressure test the head, and inspect the valvetrain and valve guides.

If they don't find anything, I'll have them reassemble the head with new valve stem seals, and I'll put the engine back together.

While they are doing that, I'll get FIC to rebuild the injectors.

Then I'm going to put this damn thing back together and continue troubleshooting.

One thing I didn't test when it was still together and I should have, is the ECU. I should have swapped it with the one in the green car and reloaded the tune. These ECUs are getting old, so I should have tested that as well.

The other thing I havent even considered till just now is fuel quality. I did have a fill up shortly before this all started happening, but I've never experienced the level of backfiring this car is capable of strictly due to bad fuel, but it is worth considering. If the injectors test ok, I'll drain the E85 out and fill it with 93 octane and test on that fuel.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this issue lol.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
938 Posts
Weren't you getting a leak from cyl 4 into the intake though?

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
Just for any of you that were wondering. Talon's shop is legit! Where there is a will, there is a way! He did a great job with it. Great hanging out today man! The B is coming along nicely, and can't wait to see how Grey car does with the B, and also look forward to Aero's future.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,025 Posts
Just for any of you that were wondering. Talon's shop is legit! Where there is a will, there is a way! He did a great job with it. Great hanging out today man! The B is coming along nicely, and can't wait to see how Grey car does with the B, and also look forward to Aero's future.
Sick invite

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
Also picked up a set of OE Denso coils as well
Yeah, the ebay seller sold me fakes. The coils in the pic are genuine Denso, what I received was the worst attempt at trying to pass knock offs I've ever seen.

Handled many a Denso coil before, these scream fakes. The Honda labels on the boxes had tape over the Honda logo when I got them, no reason ever to do that if legit. Also the Denso lettering on the side of the coil was screen printed with shitty ink, Denso always casts their logos and part numbers as negatives in the plastic injection mold, so they CANT RUB OFF.

Also, the label with the taped off Honda label showed "Qty: 1 pcs", yet there were 2 coils in each box. With legit Denso coils, there is ALWAYS 1 coil to 1 box. You cant physically fit another coil in the box if you tried. Also, the box seam tape was cheap clear scotch tape. Denso coils in Honda boxes always uses either a label with a part number or logo to seal primary seams, or good quality brown paper packing tape.

Being cordial and didnt give him negative reviews, yet, just ripped the seller a new one for trying to play houdini to the innocents out there. I honestly thought I scored a decent deal, I'm pretty good at finding the legit ebay listings vs the cheap china knock offs. This listing definitely got me, the first time in years I fell for a good quality faker. I'm going to see if he allows me to return them for refund. If he does, I'll give him 5 stars lol. Else, 1 star with the most polite passive aggressive canadian fuck you possible to be clean on ebay's reviews lol

1021 - 1040 of 1049 Posts