Honda D Series Forum banner
881 - 900 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #881 ·
Got the car trailer tonight from my buddy.

Put the car up on it to see how it would work getting in and out. It's a low boy with really high wheel fenders, so its hard to get in and out. Parked the car with passenger door as close to fender as possible, and it leaves just enough room to crack open the driver door and roll the window down to reach the parking brake.

Good news is because its so low and the car is so light I can just roll it up with my leg muscles haha.

Also got the shop cleaned up, and the fenders, bumpers, hood and gas cap lid ready to prep.

I'll hang them from the rafters with mechanics wire so everything is at a comfortable level to move around.

I'm also going to buy a different primer for the bumpers, a plastic specific primer like Krylon, so it really bonds into the surface. The urethane primer I bought for the spray gun bonds to rough metal really well, so I'll use the rest of it for the fenders, hood and gas cap.

Prep and prime tomorrow night, paint wednesday, install Thursday. I took Thursday off, so I have the whole 9-5 to get the car finalized, and equipment staged. Still need to install the rear view mirror and fix the steering wheel alignment. I've only now begun to realize how much of a bitch working under the dash will be with the cage in the way....

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 ·
Here's pics.

Little one is ready to go racing lol

Cabinetry Shoulder Drawer Standing Kitchen

Cabinetry Helmet Window Flowerpot Waist

Tarp FTW till hood is done

Tire Wheel Car Plant Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Window Hood Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Plant Car

Garage is clean, body parts pulled down from attic:

Property Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

And bam, in no time at all (literally a fuck ton of time, have I mentioned i hate body work?) up goes a little Dexter blood shack and some prepped and primed panels:

Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Automotive design

Building Wood House Floor Darkness

Will lightly hit any high spots found on the primer, then paint tomorrow, and install on Thursday!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #884 ·
Posted at like 4 AM, bro do you ever sleep!?!!?! Race week right?!?
I'm grinding till the last minute unfortunately.... trying to put any free time I have into finishing it.

I will have the pieces painted tonight, and ready for install tomorrow. So glad I dont work tomorrow!

Still need to realign the steering column and install the review mirror.

And buy 20 standby gallons of E85 haha.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #885 ·
Installed the most important part, the gas cap lid. Ready for the track now!

Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle

Kidding lol. It was the first to be completely dry, so he got installed first.

Just checked timing, oil level, under the car (still no leaks), and took the neighbor for a short rip with the car like this:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

He's a 6'4" ex-marine, and his response was "holy fuck" lol. I'm happy haha.

Still working on getting the panels installed, and staging tools and equipment. Loading up the RV tomorrow, and leaving for the track around 3PM. Hopefully there is a decent spot left in the paddock, and the jackasses arent hogging spaces.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,992 Posts
Installed the most important part, the gas cap lid. Ready for the track now!

View attachment 139755

Kidding lol. It was the first to be completely dry, so he got installed first.

Just checked timing, oil level, under the car (still no leaks), and took the neighbor for a short rip with the car like this:

View attachment 139756

He's a 6'4" ex-marine, and his response was "holy fuck" lol. I'm happy haha.

Still working on getting the panels installed, and staging tools and equipment. Loading up the RV tomorrow, and leaving for the track around 3PM. Hopefully there is a decent spot left in the paddock, and the jackasses arent hogging spaces.

Man ,I'm excited just thinking how excited you must be!

sorry couldn't find one with the needle pegged ..

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
Its got a hood, fenders and a back bumper!

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant

Car Vehicle Plant Grille Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

No front bumper yet, too dark to install. Need to hook up the brake ducts and fasten the oil cooler in place, too many little details to do in the dark.

Also need to put the cowl lid on and the wiper blades, then the car is completely finished and ready!

I forgot, didnt take pics of installing the rear view mirror or fixing the steering spline alignment, but I got those fixed too.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #890 ·
Its complete!

I cannot believe its ready, its been so long since it has been a complete car!

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Daytime Automotive lighting

I'll be silent for quite a few hours, got lots of shit to pack still, and picking up the RV in about an hour or so.

Will take pics and vids trackside!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #891 ·
Even though we got to VIR late, and finding an open spot in the paddock was a BITCH, it's been a pretty good first day.

Coming in late Friday, we didn't get to our spot until like 1:30 AM Sat morning after unloading the trailer and parking the RV.

There were still people out partying and causing havoc until like 3AM. We tucked in our son, and the wife and I walked VIR until like 4:30AM. I've never seen it at night with so many people before, with random 4:00AM pit bike exhaust revving battles happening all over.

The air was heavy and cloudy with the smell of generators running and pit bikes/4 wheelers/golf carts running around, charcoal smoke and the smell of meats billowing from grilles and smokers.

And fast cars EVERYWHERE. Heaven basically.

This is where we parked in the North Paddock (red circle):

Map Line Font Technology Electronic device

Turn 3 and 4 at daybreak:

Plant Sky Motor vehicle Tree Land lot

Sky Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Cloud Tree

Waiting for Tech:

Mirror Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Turn 17 right before pit road:

Sky Plant Vehicle Fence Natural landscape

In the false grid staging area:

Tire Car Wheel Sky Vehicle

Tires after the first session, nice rolled up rubber pieces everywhere :) Making a "2" is not all that easy with tape lol

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #892 ·
Turn 18, right before Turn 1:

Cloud Sky Asphalt Screenshot Road surface

Cool view from Turn 14 overlooking some non paddock Hyperfest participants:

Cloud Sky Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle

Chasing a miata lol:

Cloud Sky Vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire

Passing the miata:

Cloud Sky Car Land vehicle Wheel

Traffic ahead:

Sky Cloud Vehicle Car Plant

Heading into the esses:

Cloud Sky Vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire

Passing a vette using all the boost lol:

Cloud Sky Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
But no fun come without issues lol. I believe the instrument cluster gauge temp sender is inaccurate. It keeps showing pegged out overheating, meanwhile the ECU coolant temp sensor is only reporting like 205*F. Coolant temp was verified with a themocouple and an infrared gun on the upper rad hose, thermostat open. Both thermocouple and temp gun agree with the ECU temp sensor.

This caused me to have to pit about 10 mins early on my 2nd session to assess the car in fear I may have blown a head gasket or something.

I'm happy to report, no HG is blown, coolant reservoir level has held steady, no pushing coolant, no blow by gas smell in radiator or overflow tank, no leaks under the car.

I went back out for round 3, and thought I had enough fuel for another 20 mins, turns out I did not. During a few high G corners after about 15 mins, spits and sputters followed, and I again had to pit early to try and make it back to the RV. Filled the car back up with 10 gallons.

4th and final day session was much better. I feel more comfortable punishing the car, and my instructor but I'm still nervous when it comes to higher RPM operation with these solid motor mounts and this new helmet. Chassis vibrations are significantly different with a helmet on, so there are some new sounds I'm not accustomed to, but overall the car has returned to the pits each time sounding great with good hot oil pressures between 15-17PSI after a brutal run, and peak coolant temps of about 216*F.

My neighbor who came up to the track with his sons has taken a few videos of me flying by the bridge. The car sounds good. Better res videos to come, I promise haha, as well as other pics and videos of the rest of Hyperfest.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #896 ·
The wallet destroyers:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Going to focus on installing the new suspension on the green car, and changing the oil in the grey car and dissecting the oil filter to view its contents, just in case :)

I need to start tweaking on the green car tune a bit, but that's for the other thread :)

When its not raining out, I'll drive the grey car to work and cruise with it.

Need to clean up the garage post hyperfest now that I'm back from Vegas.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,346 Posts
That track looks epic. Good to hear it went well.
Having been there before, it truly is. Seriously amazing to stand on the paddock and watch those cars come down the S hill behind the paddock nearly wide open, and then come around the next bend and hit the long straight. It's amazing!

Reactions: EFB055

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,346 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

So today, I got to see it in person! Took the obligatory ride along, and I must say, the hatchback rips and is much smoother than I thought it would be. Very fast, and I'm sure you had an amazing time taking this car around VIR, and for it to take an hour long ride one way and be none worse for the wear, I'm impressed.

Best quote of the day............ "Smells like Purell" .............lol

Great car man. I'm so glad you didn't give up on it. Tons and tons of hard work show out in this hot rod. I was super impressed!

881 - 900 of 906 Posts