Honda D Series Forum banner
861 - 880 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
I feel so much better knowing it runs and doesnt leak from that damn fitting lol.

Getting high in here on ethanol fumes lol.

Got the downpipe installed and hooked up, and built a "better" support bracket lol:

Wood Creative arts Hardwood Wood stain Art

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Fender

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Suspension Gas

About to change the VTEC solenoid gasket, and I guess drain the first start oil, change the filter and put the 10w40 in it.

I washed the K&N filter last night, need to oil it when I feel confident it is dry.

Going to work on the door bars tonight, at least get them cut and fitted.

I dropped my stupid underhood light on the wiper switch and broke it, forgetting about that I plugged the wiper assembly in and it came alive spazzing out and I almost lost a finger! Need to swap out the wiper switch with the other steering column.

She's looking good from behind (no panties aka bumper) :)

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,346 Posts
Love it! What's the dates for the race? Trying to see if I can be there to crew, or just hang out. You know, whatever at this point, because this thing is gonna rip.

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
Love it! What's the dates for the race? Trying to see if I can be there to crew, or just hang out. You know, whatever at this point, because this thing is gonna rip.
The event is next weekend, October 1st-3rd.

It's up to you man, but dude, they changed it up from what it was last year though, there used to be 4 free crew allowances per participating NASA member, but now there is only 1 :(

Kids under 12 are free, but anyone else require a spectator pass. The passes are for the whole Hyperfest weekend mind you, but they are still expensive at like $85 a piece for general admission.

I told my neighbor about it, and him and his wife and kids are going to make a camping weekend out of it, so they all bought general admission passes to get in.

Myself, the wife and my son (under 12 lol) are staying Friday through Sunday camping out in the paddock. Track sessions start bright and early Saturday morning, I only have Saturday and Sunday sessions, Friday is a perk simply to get settled in a spot :) I took Thursday, Friday and Monday off work just for this so I don't have to rush.

We rented an RV for that weekend, it was about the same price as a reasonable hotel for 3 nights and about half the price of staying in the cheapest on site lodging at VIR. The RV will tow the car there and back with a friend's car trailer, so double bonus.

I've never spent time in an RV before, but I'll fill the on board water tank, and fridge with groceries, and be set.

It would be awesome if you could come up to check it out, let me know! If not, we still need to meet up at some point. I owe you a spray gun and an ECU still!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #866 ·
Got the new headlights installed, wiper switch installed, air filter re-oiled and installed, and the first door bar cut and notched.

The cage tubing angles are symmetrical between sides, so now that I've notched one, I can use it as a template to notch the others quickly. If all goes well tomorrow, door bars will be welded in.

Items left after door bars are dwindling at this point, just lots of random crap lol, some big some small. Things I can think of off the top of my head are (I'll probably need this list later lmao):

-Fit harness lap section anchors to car/roll cage
-Change oil to 10w40
-VTEC solenoid gasket
-Need pack of large zipties to install the HDF roll cage padding
-Install new windshield wipers
-Run aesthetic bead of black silicone around the sunroof plug
-Pull car outside for room to prep and paint fenders, hood, bumpers, fuel cap lid
-Install rear view mirror (golf cart mirror)
-Reattach front brake duct hoses
-Torque wheels
-Install new H emblem to painted hood
-Reinstall hatch glass after paint (new shocks and proper wiper delete)
-Give car a wash
-Go for a test drive
-Load car on trailer

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
Dang, didn't realise you were working to a deadline. Nothing better to keep a project moving.

I was planning on treking the wagon down to world time attack in sydney in october, but it got canned because of COVID and i'm just not that motivated anymore :'(
Yes sir, trying my best to get this stuff knocked out!

Was a very good way of motivating myself (wife's not 100% happy with the time needed lol), to already have this lined up with the prize being able to fully take in the weekend :)

I think she'll change her tune once we get there, there is ALL KINDS of stuff to do at Hyperfest!

Dude, COVID is on fire here at the moment with Delta, much worse then when they cancelled Hyperfest last year, but leave it to good ol USA to say f it lol, "you have a gathering of over 16k people in the middle of a pandemic? Right this was sir." haha.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 · (Edited)
Got the upper door bars installed on both sides. They are at about the same height as the factory bars inside the doors. Tested getting in and out on both sides, its not that bad and will get better once the car is on the ground.

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Also tested helmet clearance with the HDF around the upper bars, not much room but its not bad. Sitting straight up there is about an inch, and you have to go out of your way to make the helmet hit.

Looking much more race car ish!

Found a slick way of attaching the left side lap harness, can't believe I didnt think of this before. I was going to weld a tab onto the lower door bar and use a shoulderbolt through the harness clasp, but the old OEM mounting point and the shoulder bolt and hardware from the old OEM belt fit the harness clasp and snugged down perfectly! There is even enough of a shoulder on the OEM bolt that it properly pivots around while the bolt is tight:

Hand Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Also got the hatch glass reinstalled with new lift shocks and hardware.

Car will be outside this weekend under a tarp so I can use the garage as a paint booth. All body panels should be ready to install mid week next week some time.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #870 ·
Changed the oil to the 10w40.

Finished notching the lower door bars, ready to weld in.

Placed some foam isolators and zip ties around the shoulder harness bar to keep the harness separated and at the right position.

Placed the roll bar HDF along the cage near my head (front and side). Will also place a piece along the top door bar to prevent elbow hitting funny bone lol. Rule book saya this stuff has to be placed everywhere heads, elbows, knees, arms or legs might come into contact with the roll bar. I had to order another 2 sticks (each stick is 3 foot length) of the HDF, for the passenger side as well. This crap is expensive, about $35 per stick with shipping! So I've spent almost $150 on this stuff now...

Also finished the lap belt install on the right side, which completes the harness installation! The PCI seat bracket already had a hole in it for this, but it still took some thought on how to shoulder such a short bolt in a confined space. Ended up using a steel sleeve over the bolt threads to act as a shoulder, then a lock nut.

Chair Font Jewellery Electric blue Metal

Bicycle handlebar Revolver Trigger Automotive lighting Shotgun

Changed the VTEC solenoid gasket. No trash in it, spotless:

White Light Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,346 Posts
Dude! I can't wait!!

I love it when a plan comes together!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #874 · (Edited)
Pool noodles are like 5 bucks here, i can ship you over some?
I wish it was that simple haha. Rules over here state that any part of the body that comes in contact with the roll cage either directly or could indirectly come in contact during a collision, must have this SFI rated and stamped padding :(

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Pipeline transport Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

I did use pool noodles/pipe insulation for the harness separators! It was only $1.99 haha

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #878 ·
Where do you think it is power wise?
Wayyy f'n more than the green civic lmao, that I can be sure of.

Honestly, with as much timing as I pulled out of it before it got parked, and the boost still up at 20PSI, I'd venture at least 300-320whp.

Just absolutely clawing at the road with these tires trying to spin at part throttle in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #880 ·
I have to mess with the steering column u joint splines lol, its like 1/8 turn off pointing to the right.

I'll try driving straight, parking it, then loosening the bolt and spinning it a few splines trying to get it as straight as possible. It was straight before it got parked, and the only thing I did in the meantime to steering was pulling the column out, so moving it a few splines to the left should cure it.

Cleaning up the garage now, getting ready for paint booth 2.0

861 - 880 of 906 Posts