Honda D Series Forum banner
821 - 840 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
I totally forgot the engine was still in the car ,
I like the removable sump baffle on the y8,make it easier to clean.
man ,,so tell me what was your method used not to drop the crank on your face?...:)
Prep and clean everything, push the pistons up, use wheel bearing grease to hold the thrust washers up in the block, install main and rod bearing shells to block and rods, lube everything with assembly lube.

Prep the crank girdle, install new bearings, lube crank bearings and crank.

Place crank into the girdle, cover floor jack surface with rags or towels, set the girdle with the crank on the floor jack and hold.

Slowly maneuver into place, go slow on the way up to avoid binding and knocking the thrust washers out of place.

Once the crank sits up in there, and bearings are fully engaged by all journals, take 4 girdle bolts and hand tighten up to the girdle so it doesn't fall.

Remove jack, and finish ARP lubing all girdle bolts, then tighten/torque.

Rotate to make sure nothing is binding, then proceed to install the rods and rod caps. ARP lube, tighten and torque everything.

Spin by hand to make sure rotating assembly doesnt bind :)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 · (Edited)
Got a decent amount done. Flywheel, clutch, trans, starter and all mounts are in.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

I hope to have the oiling system mods done shortly (oil cooler, takeoff, etc) and oil pressure gauge buttoned up with the harness trimmed to final length.

Finished flushing the cooler with lacquer thinners and compressed air multiple times for good measure, rebuilt the oil cooler barrel bolt to clean the little jiggly relief valve in the middle, and got it mocked up for position checks on the back of the block. Going to settle for this position:

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive fuel system

Not worried about flow with this guy installed, if its good enough for the B16, it should be just fine for the humble D.

It is interesting, this "cooler" ultimately serves two purposes, 1) to warm the oil up faster on start up to get things to operating temp quicker, and 2) to help reduce oil temp closer to engine coolant temp when temps really get warm. A win win if you ask me.

I have a bunch of ideas for this cooler, but we'll see if they're even needed after a few track testing sessions.

More pics coming. She should be very close to running before end of weekend!

Safelite guy is coming Monday afternoon to install the windshield.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
659 Posts
Very interested in seeing if that cooler works as well as the previous setup. I'm still thinking I'm going to run the changeable thermostatic sandwich adapter, but this may change my mind.
Also, cant wait for ripper vids!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
Perma installed the oil takeoff adapter and oil cooler:

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part Electrical wiring Gas

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior Gas

That oil adapter was actually a bitch to get finished. The stock oil pressure switch, the aluminum plug that came with the adapter AND the turbo oil feed line were too long while converging in towards the center, and hit each other!

I had to trim them down a bit to get them to clear, which sucked. I fed a constant supply of compressed air down the other end of the turbo feed line while cutting (band saw) so no chips or shavings would enter.

Its a shame honestly, this adapter kicks ass and is very strong mounted up against the stock oil pressure switch boss, but it does NOT accept all fitting threaded lengths as is! I wish I would have done this on the bench, but I was not anticipating it :(

Either way, it's done. Still need to run some coolant line to the cooler.

Axles are going in tomorrow and front end reassembled, trans filled with fluid.

Ever closer! Just need to get some first start oil and filter.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
Got the axles cleaned, lubed, installed, axle nuts torqued and camber set to where it usually is.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Crankset Bicycle part

Shoe Tire White Automotive lighting Automotive tire

See that drain pan in the second picture? I was rudely informed with a drip to the eyeball that the damn water pipe o-ring is leaking again!

Not really sure why it did that, it hasnt leaked for over a year sitting! I must have disturbed it yesterday, and oxidation between the seal lip and the housing aluminum must have started due to lack of flow and stagnant conditions.

Really wish it would have poked me in the eye yesterday, BEFORE i installed the turbo oil feed in front of it lol.

I should be able to wiggle it out of there. Might as well replace the water pump too. I have an OE honda one new in the bag kudos to @Aeroflux 's spare parts :)

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
I had an A6 one time (14.5:1 N/A build) that would leak at that dang O ring. I ended up using Hondabond to glue the crap out of it when I stuck it in there so it would quit leaking. If I was to do that today, I'd use the Right Stuff. It wouldn't ever leak then lol. The Right Stuff is for real

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
I had an A6 one time (14.5:1 N/A build) that would leak at that dang O ring. I ended up using Hondabond to glue the crap out of it when I stuck it in there so it would quit leaking. If I was to do that today, I'd use the Right Stuff. It wouldn't ever leak then lol. The Right Stuff is for real
Disclaimer I am not in any way suggesting that anyone half-assedly fix their crossover pipe this way. However, when you are young and dumb and searching for a solution, sometimes things work out that way. But again, had I sealed it with Right Stuff, it would never leak again. Consequently, that pipe might not ever come out again either.

Sucks you have to drain it down and replace it, but better now than start up day and you're ready to drive it.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
Disclaimer I am not in any way suggesting that anyone half-assedly fix their crossover pipe this way. However, when you are young and dumb and searching for a solution, sometimes things work out that way. But again, had I sealed it with Right Stuff, it would never leak again. Consequently, that pipe might not ever come out again either.

Sucks you have to drain it down and replace it, but better now than start up day and you're ready to drive it.
I'm probably going to do a little of that honestly :)

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
929 Posts
All my dohc D's have those coolers on the back, i think they're neat. That crossover pipe is a bitch, they always corrode at the very ends, and slowly disappear until the corrosion effects the seal, and all the D's here seem to have different variations of them where the shape is the same, but some have ports for cooling and some don't. I found a clean one and had to weld a port shut.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 ·
Got the crossover pipe out. I literally shot myself in the foot by installing the turbo oil feed line, it would not come out without removing it. But I would never have known that oring was leaking otherwise....

So I am going to pull everything I just installed, off again, for fear of getting pipe dope in the engine oil feed. Want to make sure everything is clean in that adapter before cranking it the first time.

I went ahead and bought a new turbo oil feed line, since this one has been installed, bent, heated, relaxed, cooled, sat for a year, removed, unbent, wiggled, reinstalled...... probably cheap insurance.

Also got a new VTEC solenoid gasket, to have a fresh screen in place.

Wheels and tires are on again.... looks so good:

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Safelite also came yesterday and did their thing. I know, a picture of clear lol, not very exciting:

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Now all that needs to happen is the building falls down on the car, breaks the windshield and crushes the roof again..... I'm not holding my breath, some shit is likely to happen again haha.

I'll go ahead and button up the top end this week, adjust valves, distributor, fresh plugs, etc. Also get the crossover pipe reinstalled with some right stuff :) and put the cooling system back together. Since it's already empty and has no coolant, I'll also fit the oil cooler lines now, since it doesn't make any sense to drain and fill twice! Then refill and check for leaks.

Lots of little odds and ends to finish up, but getting closer! Hate that I have to wait so long before start up because of waiting on that stupid oil supply line to come in. Honestly, if I can find a local shop to make one, or if a speed shop has one local, I might go that route just so I don't have to wait.

821 - 840 of 850 Posts