5,229 Posts
pwnd

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
The goal this weekend is to try and finish the keyway and get the crank put in the block, then finish bolting the cage to the frame, and buttoning it up.

I'd love to have it running within the next 2 weeks, so I can focus on cosmetic crap, like painting the rest of the body parts, and getting Safelite to come out and put a new windshield in it, as well as welding in the door bars and harness tabs.

Haven't really had time this week to work on the race car civic, super busy trying to focus on work where I can, since I've been sick for 3 days holed up in the house waiting on this stupid covid test to come back. Not sure if it is covid, but I've been vaxxed a while ago. Symptoms are sore throat and congestion, no fever or anything, and today it feels likely almost over. The wife nor the kids have any symptoms so far, so hopefully it was just a summer cold or something.

Apparently this delta variant has a 40% vaccine breakthrough rate, but the vax still helps lessen symptom severity.

Updates all around whenever progress happens!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
I think it's going to be a few months still before i'll be able to get my jab. I registered and there was no available appointments for 3 months with 50kms. redic.
Seriously?? Thats ridiculous. They're giving them out like candy at any corner pharmacy here!

Literally went online to the pharmacy's website, picked a calendar date for the SAME DAY I was browsing to get it, and went.... then it autoschedules you at the same location for dose #2 a couple weeks later!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,229 Posts
c'mon over here, you can have mine.

I keep saying "WHEN I get covid, it better fucking kill me"

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
Haven't really had time this week to work on the race car civic, super busy trying to focus on work where I can, since I've been sick for 3 days holed up in the house waiting on this stupid covid test to come back. Not sure if it is covid, but I've been vaxxed a while ago. Symptoms are sore throat and congestion, no fever or anything, and today it feels likely almost over. The wife nor the kids have any symptoms so far, so hopefully it was just a summer cold or something.

Apparently this delta variant has a 40% vaccine breakthrough rate, but the vax still helps lessen symptom severity.

Updates all around whenever progress happens!
I wouldn't worry about the congestion and sore throat. Literally had the same thing. As did one of my kids. You're fine............right?

PS, I already had COVID

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts
I think it's going to be a few months still before i'll be able to get my jab. I registered and there was no available appointments for 3 months with 50kms. redic.
there is a few spots here you can just walk in and be all like gimmie free needle prick.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 · (Edited)
I'm gonna call this success boys.

Fill it with 660 loctite before install, torque the bolt and send it!

Wood Flooring Shelf Gas Shelving

Installed to the snout without the balancer key installed, to check fitment against the outside radius of the balancer:

Automotive tire Rim Grey Automotive wheel system Camera lens

Automotive tire Wood Grey Rim Automotive wheel system

With balancer key installed:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Grey Rim

Eye Automotive tire Wheel Rim Tread

I find it interesting that even the stock key doesn't sit flush in the untouched key groove bottom of the crank. Makes me think this key is really just for centering and less for torque transfer, and that the bolt clamp provides the majority of the balancer holding power once torqued.

Very tight fitting keys are usually required to transfer full load, which is where the loctite 660 comes in, but I was a bit concerned still, so I did some metallurgy research on this keystock, then some math to ease my mind after this gets assembled lol:

• Keystock is 303 stainless
  • Which has a typical yield force of 310,000,000N/m2
    • Convert to MPa: 310
    • Convert to PSI: 45,000
  • Diameter of crank snout shaft: 24mm
  • Length of key to replace crank metal: 10.7mm
  • Channel depth of key to replace crank metal: 3.5mm
Plug numbers into this formula:

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Number

• End up with the following yield torques:
    • 141.3042 Nm
    • 104.20 ft/lbs

Biggest load that will be on this keyway is the alternator, so torque requirement to spin it is easy to figure out:
  • Typical alternator requires 1HP/25A of output
  • Our alt's are 80A peak rated typically
  • So that's [email protected] 80A peak

Since we now have HP and can know the relative RPM of the crankshaft in a few states, torque requirements are easily calculated:
  • 3.2HP @ 1000RPM = 16.8 ft/lbs
  • 3.2HP @ 8000RPM = 2.1 ft/lbs

I'll be running at 16.2% of keystock yield strength at full alternator load, with a ton of wiggle room. I also estimated that parasitic torque loads based on the weight of the outer balancer ring during harmonic oscillations will induce about another 1-2% of torque at low RPM into the key.

So operating at 20ish% yield strength of the key dimensions and material properties should allow this solution to last a long time, and be a rather lasting repair. Until a tree falls on it again lol.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
Installed the speedi-sleeves on the crank. Took a bit longer than I wanted, but that was because the sleeve for the oil pump seal had a lip that hung over the oil pump gear drive flats, so I had to file the lip down to get the pump able to re-engage the front of the crank.

Some before and after shots.

Oil pump seal journal - Before:

Wood Gas Art Machine Paint

Rear main journal - Before:

Automotive tire Door Household hardware Gas Engineering

Oil pump journal - After:

Wood Audio equipment Gas Metal Auto part

Wood Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Rear main journal - After:

Wood Machine tool Engineering Machine Metal

Automotive tire Wood Helmet Vehicle brake Rim

I'm going to try and get the crank at least up in the engine tonight. If I do, I'll share that in a couple more hours lol.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
929 Posts
I'm gonna call this success boys.

Fill it with 660 loctite before install, torque the bolt and send it!

View attachment 139452

Installed to the snout without the balancer key installed, to check fitment against the outside radius of the balancer:

View attachment 139453

View attachment 139454

With balancer key installed:

View attachment 139455

View attachment 139456

I find it interesting that even the stock key doesn't sit flush in the untouched key groove bottom of the crank. Makes me think this key is really just for centering and less for torque transfer, and that the bolt clamp provides the majority of the balancer holding power once torqued.

Very tight fitting keys are usually required to transfer full load, which is where the loctite 660 comes in, but I was a bit concerned still, so I did some metallurgy research on this keystock, then some math to ease my mind after this gets assembled lol:

• Keystock is 303 stainless
  • Which has a typical yield force of 310,000,000N/m2
    • Convert to MPa: 310
    • Convert to PSI: 45,000
  • Diameter of crank snout shaft: 24mm
  • Length of key to replace crank metal: 10.7mm
  • Channel depth of key to replace crank metal: 3.5mm
Plug numbers into this formula:

View attachment 139461

• End up with the following yield torques:
    • 141.3042 Nm
    • 104.20 ft/lbs

Biggest load that will be on this keyway is the alternator, so torque requirement to spin it is easy to figure out:
  • Typical alternator requires 1HP/25A of output
  • Our alt's are 80A peak rated typically
  • So that's [email protected] 80A peak

Since we now have HP and can know the relative RPM of the crankshaft in a few states, torque requirements are easily calculated:
  • 3.2HP @ 1000RPM = 16.8 ft/lbs
  • 3.2HP @ 8000RPM = 2.1 ft/lbs

I'll be running at 16.2% of keystock yield strength at full alternator load, with a ton of wiggle room. I also estimated that parasitic torque loads based on the weight of the outer balancer ring during harmonic oscillations will induce about another 1-2% of torque at low RPM into the key.

So operating at 20ish% yield strength of the key dimensions and material properties should allow this solution to last a long time, and be a rather lasting repair. Until a tree falls on it again lol.
Keyway transmitted torque is only really important for unbolted applications. I would guess (like you said) that on a crank pulley the majority (re: all) of the torque would be transmitted through the friction of the bolted faces and the keyway is there to confirm the ignition marks are in the correct location.

Maths looks good.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Keyway transmitted torque is only really important for unbolted applications. I would guess (like you said) that on a crank pulley the majority (re: all) of the torque would be transmitted through the friction of the bolted faces and the keyway is there to confirm the ignition marks are in the correct location.

Maths looks good.
Assurance by association :)

Your words confirming my thoughts will add minutes if not an hour of extra sleep comfort to my routine post-engine assembly haha!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts
Oil pump, rear main, pickup and oil pan reinstalled:
I totally forgot the engine was still in the car ,
I like the removable sump baffle on the y8,make it easier to clean.
man ,,so tell me what was your method used not to drop the crank on your face?...:)

801 - 820 of 850 Posts