Honda D Series Forum banner
781 - 800 of 850 Posts

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,229 Posts

dremel? my guy used a needle and some tweezers lol.

mine happened after welding school. took a shower and something dropped into my eye.

protip next time bro, find a hard drive magnet or a really strong rare earth magnet. close your eye, drag the magnet on the eye lid and blammo. Ive since done that twice and both times avoided the er......the first time was after I got tired of waiting (7hrs) in the er lol.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
Uh oh, starting to rust, the doctor is probably going to pull out the dremel and very gently grind that out of your cornea.
No Dremel, just a pick. It was just on the surface, so this pick popped it out and I think it was magnetized cause the fragment was stuck to it, then he went back in and scraped some of the eyeball to remove microscopic rust particles.

I said "I appreciate you helping me to avoid eye tetanus or staph." lol.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·

dremel? my guy used a needle and some tweezers lol.

mine happened after welding school. took a shower and something dropped into my eye.

protip next time bro, find a hard drive magnet or a really strong rare earth magnet. close your eye, drag the magnet on the eye lid and blammo. Ive since done that twice and both times avoided the er......the first time was after I got tired of waiting (7hrs) in the er lol.
Damn! that is a great idea! I'll have to keep some neodymium magnets in the first aid kit :)

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
659 Posts
Mine was in there for a while, about 4 days before we could see anything in it, I thought I had been given pink eye, lol. Also the magnet thing has worked in the past, but not that time. luckily the doctor had a steady hand with that high speed air tool, lol. I had to change underwear after the procedure though.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts
shit man that sucks try not to do that again eh..

r3dn3ck ingenuity at its finest lol

why is red neck censored?
that's what I've been asking ,,It's like Ai is trying to make it a bad thing...:(

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Its been a minute since I've been back on this beast, but October is creeping up!

Got the needed dremel tips to finish shaping the new crank slot for the added keyway material. Its a squarish/rectangle now!

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Glove Auto part

Shaping a piece of key stock to conform to the cavity shape. Honestly, this whole process made me feel like a dentist lol:

Wood Finger Thumb Nail Wrist

Hand Finger Nickel Bicycle part Gas

Sleeve Finger Thumb Nail Human leg

Hand Drinkware Fluid Gesture Finger

Flash photography Bumper Human leg Glove Wood

Automotive tire Glove Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Thumb

Still need to super glue the wedge chunk to the crank, and finish rough shaping it to allow the keys cast as part of the timing belt sprocket to pass.

Once its all shaped, and the key for the harmonic balancer fits snugly between the old keyway channel and the newly shaped chunk of metal, and the balancer fits snugly against the newly added metal, then I'll install the crank to the car.

During reassembly and timing cover installation, what I'm going to do it absolutely cover the keyway channels and blocks with Loctite primer, and add a generous helping of Loctite 660 to everything balancer keyway related during reassembly to keep the keys and blocks stationary in their channels. Then torque the crank bolt and hope for the best!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts

if all the space is taken up and the bolt is fuckin tigght hehe and stays tight it'll be good..

and fuck the Dick Smack who made sure Al keeps me rage'ed

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
View attachment 139361
if all the space is taken up and the bolt is fuckin tigght hehe and stays tight it'll be good..

and fuck the Dick Smack who made sure Al keeps me rage'ed
I might put a dab of loctite blue on the crank bolt, just for piece of mind lol

I dont know why AI keeps flagging you? Lmao, Ive not had any issues lol. Bet I could post a vag right now and it'll go through lol

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 · (Edited)
I bet that took forever. Looks like it's coming together nicely though, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞
It wasn't too bad, but trying to learn how best to shape the edges to keep things straight sucked. I don't have a mill, wish I did lol. All Ive got is a leftover rock hard forearm from my teenage years and a dremel lol.

Once I tried a few different approaches on the key stock, I found one method that really worked well, and cut a final piece copying the final test piece.

Once the crank slot looked square enough, i left it alone haha. Wanted to keep material removed from the snout to a min, and take my chances with multiple attempts on key stock to build a shape that fit like a puzzle piece as best as I could by hand.

Surprisingly, this crank steel was only really really hard on the surface. I know its nitrided case hardened since only the surfaces are under higher abuse, but it was cool to see just a few mm below the surface, carbides ate MUCH faster, and switching to normal tool steel or abrasives would actually cut it. Carbides or diamond tipped cutting tools are needed to etch off the surface to get to the soft :)

Made me truly realize why these crank journals can only really be cut for about 1mm oversize bearings max before they are basically scrap, or get re-nitrided.

Definitely a good idea not to weld the snout, that nitrided case hardening is super important everywhere on the crank, especially for the keyway channels!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts
I'll stay PG here I promise lol.... wouldnt do that to you haha

Or what about an MS Paint draw attempt lmao, see what happens... jks
don't worry I'll take care of that..

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,920 Posts

I dont know why AI keeps flagging you? Lmao, Ive not had any issues lol. Bet I could post a vag right now and it'll go through lol
thats just too funny

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
I vote yes for loctite on the crank bolt. If you get it right the first time, you won't have to worry about it for a long time to come lol. If not, well, we'll be chasing our tails and hoping.

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
929 Posts

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

781 - 800 of 850 Posts