1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Paint yet?
I knew it, you have cameras somewhere lol

Got the first set of 2 coats of primer down:

20210713_234722.jpg

20210713_234738.jpg

20210713_234732.jpg

Will let it harden tonight, lightly sand it down tomorrow with some 220, then put the final primer coats on. Paint should stick like a magnet :) Goal for tomorrow's primer coats is to make sure panel edges are well coated as well as revisiting the roof.

I have to get closer when i do the roof, thats a stupid challenge with this primer... it lays down nice close to me, but gets a bit chalky/powdery as i get to the middle roof (my arms are only so long lol) so primer is kinda slightly drying in the air as i get to the middle. Probably need to tighten the fan of the sprayer for the roof.

This is some thick epoxy primer, and its normal to have some build up to fill in tiny spots (parts guy gave me a good solution for minor scratches and chips) so i was expecting that, but damn i need to stay close to the car to keep it looking slightly wet in the middle of the roof. I get one more shot with the primer i have left :)

Then a final sand down with some 320, blow dry, and shoot it! Car shell should be painted by friday :) 2 coats ought to do it, since its grey, and the primer is also grey.

I'll need to go get some more primer to make sure i have enough for the bumpers and panels, but i have enough color for sure :)

I'll pop the lid off the can tomorrow so you can see what it will look like, just like you did with yours!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
I wet sanded mine in 400 for the final, then washed it all down with Dawn and hot water. Yours is going to come out great! When I painted mine before, I made up walk boards down each side with 2x8's and milk crates so my wrist angle would be correct for the center of the roof. While it didn't stick on the edges, the centers of the panels looked great lol

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,782 Posts
you guys with your paint ,yur going to be so anal you won't be able to work on or drive it anymore oh and how bout those bird dodoos and parking lots..

don't mind me just jealous ,paint doesn't stick to rust very good..

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
I know, we just made more work for ourselves lol. Now I can't just leave it down and dirty. When it don't shine, nobody cares, but once it has good paint you feel that need to keep it shiney lol. Or at least think about keeping it clean lol

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Agreed 400 is my base level for sanding before paint. Depending on what color you're going it should be 400-600. I'd do 600 if you're going really dark or black.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
IM AN IDIOT.

I turned the fan control knob in a 1/2 turn more to tighten the fan a bit more on the paint gun, and OMG can this HTE gun lay down some CLEAN primer.

I'm used to fairly old HVLP guns and siphon type guns, first time playing with an HTE.

Yesterday, the primer was going on pretty nicely, and was typical for what i'd expect a standard HVLP spray pattern to look like, a bit of overspray, but consistent laydown.

BUT TODAY, i said f it, lets play with the fan control a bit, to see if i can lay it down wetter. I found this gun's clit.

It laid down primer faster, smoother and more consistent with almost zero overspray this time, ive never painted with a gun that puts paint down with such precision. Its amazing.

I just hate it, because i wasted probably an 1/8 of the quart i had on just overspray yesterday. Had i found this setting yesterday, i wouldnt have just run out of primer like i did... again, idiot haha. I got 7/8ths of the car done, then ran out.

Ive gotta get some more tomorrow, finish applying, then wait till saturday to finish paint unfortunately.... i needed more anyways for the hood and bumpers, but i thought id make it. SO CLOSE!

But you're right @Soul Engineering , it makes it worth it to see good results. It laid down so well on this side of the car, i almost dont need to sand it again before paint (of course im gonna, but it laid down amazing):

20210715_223502.jpg

20210715_223514.jpg

I'll get some more tomorrow and finish the prime job, then sand once more with 4/600 grit on the final pass, and paint saturday :)

I know i promised pics of the paint can, but when i opened it, because of how dark the gun metal color is, it just looks black so its boring. Didn't even waste time taking that pic lol. The car will be painted soon enough! Woo!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
he knows were pic whores and still cheaps out on us lol

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
You aint done yet?!?! We want pics lol! You might actually beat me to a picture post on here. Mine's baking to cure

Reactions: drtalon123

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #738 ·
Primer is done!

I was unpleasently surprised to see that a bird found its way into the paint fortress and took 2 shits on yesterdays freshly cured primer.... wiped it off, and took 600 grit to the areas to cut the stains out, and recoated.

Other than that, the car shell is fully primed! Sand down with 600 grit tomorrow, and paint!!! It should be fully painted tomorrow!

Im going to setup paint fortress #2 to shoot the hood, fenders and bumpers in my harbor freight $40 10x10 pop up tent with painters drop siding, same air filters and fans, just outside the shed.

I realized the car shell is up on jack stands and the engine is also being held up with a jack stand, so its not like i can throw the wheels on it and push it outside, so its going to stay inside, but after shell paint ill finally take down the makeshift booth so i can access tools, and get the engine back together.

Also picked up a few things to trim out the newly painted shell.
  • front hood and rear hatch OE honda emblems:
20210716_203054.jpg
  • Rear quarter fender SOHC VTEC stickers
20210715_182420.jpg
  • New outer edge door to door jamb seals
20210627_211524.jpg
  • New door pillar trim plastics
Screenshot_20210716-211736_eBay.jpg
  • Proper billet rear wiper delete with glass lift tab
Screenshot_20210716-211755_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210716-212032_eBay.jpg
  • New billet hood shock glass inserts
Screenshot_20210716-212044_eBay.jpg
  • New rear glass shocks
Screenshot_20210716-212103_eBay.jpg

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #739 ·
Will be heading out to the shop in a couple hours to finish the shell sand down and paint, i should have some good shots for you guys later tonight!

@Soul Engineering , you get any shots of yours after baking? Awaiting awesomeness :)

I started thinking about the hood pins, and i dont really want to reuse the hood pins i have because they rust and are just not secure when i do drive this car around town. Everytime i did, if i parked and went inside a store, all id be thinking about is some a-hole pulling the pins and f-ing with stuff... so i bought these for the new hood:

Screenshot_20210717-124134_eBay.jpg

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #740 ·
Don't know if i beat you to first pics or not @Soul Engineering , but here's mine so far (couldnt use the flash due to all the particulate in the air):

20210717_202524.jpg

20210717_210308.jpg

20210717_210316.jpg

20210717_210326.jpg

20210717_210347.jpg

20210717_210357.jpg

This is what happened when the flash was on lol:

20210717_210336.jpg

It is a nice clear, metallic dark grey, so im happy! more pics tomorrow after it dries.

721 - 740 of 778 Posts