Honda D Series Forum banner
701 - 720 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Have you thought about seam welding this car, (at least portions of it) or did I miss chassis/frame stiffening in the 35 pages that is this thread :)
Lmao i actually havent done that yet. But thats a LOT of work, right up there with body work. And we all know how much I love body work.....

I may, if flex is ever a noticeable issue after the cage is installed. I honestly don't think I'd ever push this car that hard to where i would ever notice a difference lol.

A bit of flex can help to rotate the car in corners, we'll see how well she handles at track day. Most of that weekend will probably be focused on tuning the dampers, and other engine management items. Go for a rip, adjust some stuff, then try it again :)

Totally for fun. I don't have enough money to be truly competitive haha.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
I'm going to have to on the old Wagon. She's a bit too flexible on the right front. Sometimes after a rip she's up, other times, she's down on the right side. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice it. (my wife thought I was crazy talking about it until she noticed it one day when we were pulling in to the driveway and she said the right side looks off) Plus it's a EE/EF, so more flexy than the EG's and later bodies. Especially with the long roof of the Wago. I'm going to seam/stitch weld the subframes front and rear, and then I'll do the firewall to front clip, and likely weld in "fender braces", and then mock up my own 3 point front strut bar since those seemed to have went the way of the dodo for an EF. Should be a fun week with the welder coming up this week. I'll post pics on my thread.................probably.

PS I'm ok with body work : )

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Got the crank back! Looks great:

20210630_183908.jpg

20210630_183917.jpg

20210630_183922.jpg

Also started refurbing a few old OBD1 ECUs ive had laying around. All getting converted to manual, VTEC, PWM output and socketted if they havent been already :)

20210628_200925.jpg

20210628_200945.jpg

Im buying the V3 ECU bench tester from Moates, i didnt realize they came out with V3 yet until i searched. Renewed my interest in getting these ECUs refreshed :) just going to use some old harness ends i have laying around for plugs, and my bench power supply:

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Just be careful, apparently using an S300 or selling one is "against the law" now.......... Fantastic to get new gear and get it up and running.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
The plan for tonight is to get this building cleaned, tools put up, paint essentials exposed and the temporary plastic paint booth walls and ceiling stapled up.

Then tomorrow if all goes well, i will mask off the rear windows, attempt to wipe the car down with lacquer thinners to clean any oil spots or residue, then do a quick pass with some very light body filler, sand it down and get ready for primer!

20210630_210903.jpg

20210630_210909.jpg

20210630_210912.jpg

20210630_210916.jpg

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Fantastic! When do you plan to start in on the cage?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
Got a chance to complete the paint booth. Had a storm come through last week with winds whipping like crazy, and it tore all my work down, so started from scratch again:

20210706_230236.jpg

20210706_230239.jpg

20210706_230245.jpg

20210706_230254.jpg

20210706_230311.jpg

Everything is staged in terms of tools and air, just need to flip the breaker to turn the compressor on, and start priming when im ready!

Got some more things to do with sanding and body filler, so hopefully ill have the car at least primed by tomorrow night.

Again, i hate body work, and its fucking hot outside in the shed doing this with 1500 watts of work lamps running, so im always pissed off and way too warm.... really need it to be winter again.

Once i get the shell primed and painted, ill throw the engine back together and pull it outside, and get another tarp to keep the rain out.

Then ill build a smaller paint booth again, and prep and paint the fenders, bumpers and hood, and put them on the car when its a nice day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Got a chance to complete the paint booth. Had a storm come through last week with winds whipping like crazy, and it tore all my work down, so started from scratch again:
No way! how come you have so much wind getting inside? I have a garage door with a 2 foot separation in a section and I don't think it would tear down tarps I had installed inside. Then again my winds might not be as intense as yours either, I'm not in like a hurricane area or anything like that.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 · (Edited)
No way! how come you have so much wind getting inside? I have a garage door with a 2 foot separation in a section and I don't think it would tear down tarps I had installed inside. Then again my winds might not be as intense as yours either, I'm not in like a hurricane area or anything like that.
Wind gets inside because its not finished lol. I have a tarp for a front door, and open attic and eaves. A dude farting on one side outside of it, will cleanly sail through to the other.

And now, there's a damn hurricane about to stroll through tomorrow, literally.... fml lol

Screenshot_20210708-011354_Weather Network.jpg

Let-the-storm-rage-on-elsa-queen-frozen-38161779-245-245.gif

tenor (7).gif

If you have kids, only then will these pictures make sense.... "Elsa's coming here?!?!" Lmao

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
So got the car sanded down completely, and touched all dents and dips with body filler that i cared enough about to want to fix:

20210708_003817.jpg

20210708_003825.jpg

20210708_003831.jpg

20210708_003835.jpg

20210708_003840.jpg

20210708_003844.jpg

20210708_003854.jpg

20210708_003859.jpg

20210708_003910.jpg

I'm plesantly surprised with how well the fan moves air out of the building. After sanding with the respirator on, i watched the air in the shop go from a dense haze to nothing in about 1-2 minutes, so it is moving air away from the car which is good.

Once i shave the cheese down to clean up the body lines, ill give the car a full wipedown with the tough shop towels and lacquer thinner to clean the dust off, and remove all fingerprint oils from the body, mask down a couple more areas, then prime the shell.

I swear, once i get to paint, im not leaving the damn shed lol. Im staying in one spot, waiting the 10-15 mins between coats, and doing all 4 coats in the same day so i dont have to do this again lmao.

Im pretty resilient at many things, but body work just gets under my skin so bad lol, i hate it. If there is a hell, and i end up there when i die, for sure ill be forced to do body work forever....

If there is a heaven, ill probably still some how get asked to do body work....

Probably never escape body work.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wind gets inside because its not finished lol. I have a tarp for a front door, and open attic and eaves. A dude farting on one side outside of it, will cleanly sail through to the other.

And now, there's a damn hurricane about to stroll through tomorrow.... fml lol
heh, yeah I guess that's a pretty good bunch of reasons.

Thank goodness the hurricane lost some intensity, but I'm wishing you the best just the same.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
that storm wasn't shit here. light rain and some wind. hope it treats you the same lol

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
that storm wasn't shit here. light rain and some wind. hope it treats you the same lol
Same here, it was pretty mild.

Dude when i saw the track heading for or near Tampa, i remember saying to myself, "do i need to evacuate slo?"

Lol, next big one that comes through, ill rescue you. Haha

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
Shoulda called a brother up. I'm a fair hand at body work and don't mind it at all. I mean, after fixing the Swiss cheese wago, nothing really scares me now lol. That body work has held up for 6 years now. Paint didn't hold for crap though lol. How has the booth faired? We've only had mild wind and then just rain all day. When you thinking to shoot it?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
Same here, it was pretty mild.

Dude when i saw the track heading for or near Tampa, i remember saying to myself, "do i need to evacuate slo?"

Lol, next big one that comes through, ill rescue you. Haha

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #720 ·
I'm trying @Soul Engineering , im trying lol.

I can only take so much of this per day haha.

Got the bondo sanded down, left side and rear of the car masked off, still need to finish the right side.

20210710_195114.jpg

20210710_195121.jpg

20210710_195129.jpg

20210710_195136.jpg

20210710_195146.jpg

Also need to tape off the roof seams, but before i can do that, i need to vacuum out all the old paint/primer dust from there and give it a good wipe down with lacquer thinner before i can tape.

20210710_195151.jpg

If i can get those things done tomorrow, then ill finally wipe the whole car down and shoot the primer coats.

Soon! Im so ready to have this portion of the job done....

701 - 720 of 778 Posts