Honda D Series Forum banner

541 - 560 of 693 Posts

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,031 Posts
might want to look into epoxy for that floor. its gonna suck if you spill onto that wood

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
might want to look into epoxy for that floor. its gonna suck if you spill onto that wood
I'm right there with you... the wood should be durable enough till I can get a chance to button up all the odds and ends of the rest of the building, but I'm actually going to be placing light gauge steel 4'x4' squares across the entire floor area, and an epoxy sealer to seal the edge gaps so oils and fluids can't get underneath.

I'll be placing grip tape and rubber matting on all the walking areas because a steel floor will probably be slippery, and probably screwing down some aluminum diamond plate along the leading doorway edge to keep the edge clean and dry and damage free.

Also got a bunch of fiberglass curtains for pretty cheap, I have an idea for a shop curtain and rod system to section off areas for welding and even painting!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
The whole time I was pulling the car in, I was like "please let my math be right, please let my math be right!!".

My initial design was supposed to hold 3 times the weight of the civic in a 4x4' area before hitting the flex limits of my spans. It'll be alright.... lol

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,697 Posts
I'm right there with you... the wood should be durable enough till I can get a chance to button up all the odds and ends of the rest of the building, but I'm actually going to be placing light gauge steel 4'x4' squares across the entire floor area, and an epoxy sealer to seal the edge gaps so oils and fluids can't get underneath.

I'll be placing grip tape and rubber matting on all the walking areas because a steel floor will probably be slippery, and probably screwing down some aluminum diamond plate along the leading doorway edge to keep the edge clean and dry and damage free.

Also got a bunch of fiberglass curtains for pretty cheap, I have an idea for a shop curtain and rod system to section off areas for welding and even painting!
when I had a tempo wannabe garage I used 4x6' rubber cow mats as the floor ,worked great kept the grass out was durable and anti slip pretty cheap too 28 loonies each .
should be able to find those cheap in Merica

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
when I had a tempo wannabe garage I used 4x6' rubber cow mats as the floor ,worked great kept the grass out was durable and anti slip pretty cheap too 28 loonies each .
should be able to find those cheap in Merica
Dude, cow mats would be awesome. Didn't even think of that!

·
5,031 Posts

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
Roof is done. I'm not usually the type to nitpick about stuff like this because I am function over form all the way, but I'm "slightly" pissed about this one lol.

All the shingle bundles were all labeled the same color of weathered grey, my order showed that I ordered 16 bundles of weathered grey, but 1/20th of my roof disagrees:

20210210_172842.jpg

20210210_172907.jpg

20210210_172924.jpg

I literally threw the bundles up and got them all installed in about 4 hours last weekend, and never even noticed this until they were all up lmao. A random corner on the left side and a strip through the fucking middle on the right side is "charcoal grey".

Ridgecap is on, and finished trimming the front and rear overhangs today. No more roof work!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
So some updates, to both the car and life.

Found this towel in my stuff haha:

20210308_223028.jpg

I've been working on items around the house as of late, and everytime I touch something, I find 10 more things that need to get fixed lol.

Needless to say, the garage kind of took the backburner the last couple weeks. But good news! It's finally at a point where I feel comfortable calling for inspection. Inspector should be here next week some time, and he will tell me how many doors I need to install in this thing. Building code stated that I needed to build this accessory building to residential standards and practices, but in each section there are so many exclusions that are fuzzy when it comes to accessory buildings. The number of doors needed was very unclear. Typically, 2 doors are required at a minimum for residential code, or one door and one emergency exit rated window, each on opposite sides of the building. But the code has a weird exception for accessory buildings that I'm unsure of, so im going to let him tell me what to do there.

Once I know the number of doors needed, I can finally know how much siding to buy and get the rest of the lumber to build the barn doors, and salvage yard scrap metal to build the entrance ramp.

Couple other things that have happened as well. I passed my FCC ham radio Technician license 2 weeks ago, scheduled to do my general this weekend as well. US call sign is KO4OHE, I kinda like it. The wife pointed out it could be rearranged to say HOE, so I've got that going for me lol.

Got a promotion at work, and having that transition hanging overhead is stressful, so im not gonna talk about it lol.

Also bought a fab table from Northern Tool, was on sale for $169, this little thing is super handy!

20210321_151025.jpg

All this to say, the garage is coming along, I can talk on the radio again, and there may be some more money in my future to get the civic back on the road a bit quicker lol.

Also thought about getting a custom plate for the civic, "FASTHAM", then mount a portable HF rig in the car with a frame mount HF whip antenna to the bumper, complete with tennis ball, canadian and US flags flying from the tip, and go racing haha. The more I think about it though, I'd be a much easier target to spot and point out if I was ever doing any kind of illegal vehicle speed related activities lol, so I probably won't do this. Was an interesting thought though haha!

I'm also seriously considering bringing the car to a body shop to have them repair the roofline, and paint the car. I'll prep everything for paint, but it would be much easier and faster to just have a pro do that work. We'll see. Anyone want to toss out some color considerations? I'm thinking a metallic dark gun metal grey, but open to other options as well. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Today was a pretty good day. Here's a peak at a few things coming for the civic.

After much consideration (mainly standing around the car with a large cup of coffee), I will man up and do the body work/paint to the civic myself. It only makes sense, since I plan on caging it as well during this time.

The cage:

The bucket seat:

The seat bracket:

New side skirts:

The steering wheel:

The short hub:

The quick release:

Also got a proper oil filter cutter/can opener (for inspections):

Also got most parts of the building inspected today, and passed.

The only thing the county inspector could not make a determination on was my roof rafters.

Apparently, county inspector are not allowed to pass judgment on homemade rafters anymore, I guess due to lawsuits and such, they are only allowed to inspect pre-engineered built-at-a-factory rafters, which come with the stamp of approval of a civil engineer stating the rafters were designed to bear the anticipated weight of potential future loads.

So, I'm going to have to hire a civil engineer to come out and see what I've built, so he can give his stamp of approval, or a document that explains any needed improvements, in which the county inspector can use to state it has been analyzed by an engineer, and so long as the rafters meet his direction, he can pass them.

So I'm still technically in the black, because I priced pre-made rafters for my 20' span at the beginning of the project, and it was going to be close to 2 grand just for those, delivery was the killer. I've got like $350 in lumber in these, followed the span code to a T, and an engineer to visit is like $500.

The county inspector says an engineer should say the rafters are either fine as is, or that they will need additional bracing in the center empty sections. He was unsure because of the 5/12 roof pitch I built, because usually at that pitch, center span supports are usually not needed. He didn't want to assume during his visit, but I appreciated his foresight into what an engineer might say.

Stay tuned!

·
5,031 Posts
what if you sent the blue prints to an engineer and ask him his thoughts on it. thus saving him a trip out there and you the extra monies

541 - 560 of 693 Posts