Honda D Series Forum banner

521 - 535 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Its been a while since I've posted, but with winter here and some vacation time taken, I should have my shop finally up within the next few days, and able to start moving stuff from the portable storage box into the building itself.

Its taken almost 3 months to get to framing. The foundation work took way longer than I imagined, since I only had a shovel lol and only being able to put 2-4 hours in (weather permitting) on the weekends. She's built to code though.

The building is 20x20, on 2x8 floor joists with 3/4" plywood flooring. Will hold the civic and all my tools/equipment just fine.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
what's the budget on this shop? approximately, no need to be super specific
Every which way I priced getting a ready built building delivered, the problem always remained that I would still have no floor.

Pouring a 6" slab by itself for a 20x20 ready made building was around $2000 by itself. With the metal building, 1 window and 1 manual roll up door being about $5500, plus another $1000 for delivery and assembly.

I wasn't ready to drop $6000+ on something that had no floor.

After pricing all raw materials, concrete included for the footers, shingles, tar mat, vapor barrier, etc, I was at 3800. This included 3/4" plywood for the floor, and 11/32 plywood for the exterior sheething, 2x8's for floor joists and 2x6's for roof rafters.

This left me money to buy a framing nailer, a 20 gallon air compressor (I've never owned one personally before), a 50 foot 3/8" air hose and a concrete mixer, all from harbor freight haha. They all work really well if you do your due diligence during assembly.

After needing to make about 2 additional runs to home depot for a few more 2x4x8's that i used on random crap over a couple months, as well as about another $150 in screws, etc, im about $4400 in so far.

When I'm done, I should have about $1500 to put towards fixing the civic haha.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
Got the top plate run across the doorway, cut and assembled 2 rafters to test fit and figure out a way to get them up there myself lol.

Stepped them up a few feet at a time, then made provisions to have something to lean them against once I got past the point of no return. Worked out well! Tomorrow, ill finish building the rest of the rafters, and get em up. Hope to have the frame of a roof on by EOD tomorrow!

For scale, that blue ladder is 10 foot tall.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
Weather was rather uncooperative the last couple days, made for very slippery working conditions (melt and freeze, and melt and freeze) so I didnt get as much done on the shop as I had hoped.

All rafters are up and fastened, exterior sheething is up, the rafter center joints have been glued and screwed, now I can start the roof. Its weird being able to stand in the attic area now haha, and room on the floor without tripping over lumber:

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Officially the most work I've done on the civic in months. Was weird to crack the hood open haha.

Pulled the injectors as I've been a little worried about them sitting in E85 over the last few months. They're probably fine, just pulling them out to squirt em with wd40 and hit em with a 9v battery to let em sit while I finish the garage.

Will flow bench them once garage is finished.

The littlest of the two little ones was curious what I was doing:

20210117_135511.jpg

20210117_135525.jpg

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
Also more progress on the building. Finally got sheathing on the roof completed. I'm putting every bit of spare time I've got into getting that roof complete, because everything else can be finished from inside or roughly ground level. Still have a few more places to brace, but other than that, the skeleton is complete.

Need to borrow a friend's 20' ladder to start the end overhang sections, tar liner and shingles. My 10' A-frame was incredibly sketchy getting all those 4x8' sheets up on that roof lmao, no easy way to do it other than walk up with a sheet of plywood on your head and throw it lol.

20210115_124805.jpg

20210115_125434.jpg

20210116_102405.jpg

20210116_110511.jpg

Then after the roof is done and on a nice day, I can finish the front attic openings and wrap it in vapor barrier. The exterior will be a dark grey vinyl siding. Priced it out, and can get all the square footage I need for about $500. I'm holding out on finishing the soffit, ive got a cool idea for a shop ventilation system that should be pretty neat. But that's a few months down the road haha.

521 - 535 of 535 Posts