Honda D Series Forum banner

501 - 510 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, COVID canceled the Hyperfest activities this year. I was bummed haha, but the track event is still on. 1.5 weeks!
Well, that's a good decision by the organizers. Better to be safe than sorry. My buddy's new neighbor mentioned this event from last year. I'll come over to help him install the parts from dcm and 4Wheelonline for his Wrangler. I'll ask if attended that event.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Well, I can't catch a break.

Put the finishing touches on the car last night, re-adjusted valves again, new oil change, etc. and drove it to work this morning to make sure oil pressure was good and everything was sound with this new oil.

Doing about 50mph on a side road, a large, roughly 6-8" diameter tree limb falls out of a tree, lands on the hood, and because I was going at speed, it whipped against the windshield and smacked it really hard.

That's not the worst part. If it was as simple as replacing a windshield and hood, I'd be happy as could be. But the roof line around the top where the windshield seats is caved in where it encountered the limb at 50mph. This is a structural area of the car that is now compromised, and to top it off a new windshield will not seat here anymore. Even if I was somehow able to pull the roof back up, the windshield will never seal properly again.

I'm going to have to replace the shell. There is no way I could perform such a miracle swap out in the few days leading up to the VIR race weekend, so I've also called and withdrew from that event. Looks like I'll be starting another journey with another shell soon, have no idea when. I got a credit from NASA good for 1 year, transferable to any NASA event in my region. Hopefully I'll be back next year in spring.

20200723_110741_resized_1.jpg

I will also be building the B16A and GSR trans over the winter, so I'll still be posting stuff to document progress, and to keep content flowing into this forum!

No one has a decent roller hatch shell with a good title for sale do they? I'll be looking!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,388 Posts
in mother nature it's called natural selection.. Somebody needs to stop that bitch!

at least it didn't blow up...yet ..:) makes sense in my world...

just contour some 2x4 and jack that mother ! and install a lexan windshield ..?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
in mother nature it's called natural selection.. Somebody needs to stop that bitch!

at least it didn't blow up...yet ..:) makes sense in my world...

just contour some 2x4 and jack that mother ! and install a lexan windshield ..?
I'm thinking about it haha... the more time ive had to cool off, the better a lexan windshield is sounding. This shell might not be completely out yet. I'll also go ahead and seal the sunroof permanently to get rid of the plug.

Since the glass will be out, I might as well take this time and just cage the freaking thing.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,388 Posts
I'm thinking about it haha... the more time ive had to cool off, the better a lexan windshield is sounding. This shell might not be completely out yet. I'll also go ahead and seal the sunroof permanently to get rid of the plug.

Since the glass will be out, I might as well take this time and just cage the freaking thing.
That's the spirit! :)

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
415 Posts
The surround doesn't look too bad in the photo and might be recoverable with a bit of extra sealant. If Lexan is legal for a windshield where you are, it's not a bad shout.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,059 Posts
"No one has a decent roller hatch shell with a good title for sale do they? I'll be looking!"

How you feel about wagons my man?

Reactions: robgoof

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,059 Posts
And so sorry to see this. I was really looking forward to seeing what she would do at VIR.

·
Registered
28 Posts
omg, that sucks! so sorry to hear this.
well, im still off that weekend and have pass from the wife to goof off. if you need anything, just ask.

my latest project instead of working on my car in this heat has been hopping up an electric go Kart. 12v sucked, 24 was ok, 36v was good until the throttle stuck with my son driving it. he was scared but ok. however the wife is pissed. next up 48 volts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know your probably still disgusted about your bad luck. Was just wondering where you are with this project currently? I understand if you have stepped back from it. I'm still keeping an eye out for civic roller hatches for the cheap.

501 - 510 of 510 Posts