Honda D Series Forum banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I was not planning on buying this, but I started thinking about the cam being sent to Colt and the fact that I'll have almost $500 tied up in that freaking thing after shipping, then the fact that my head and block have already been shaved once and will be shaved again in the near future, that it would be silly if I didn't have some way to adjust the cam back into time and properly degree it during reassembly.

I ended up buying a golden eagle adjustable timing gear. Looks like a solid unit, the drive hub is one solid piece of aluminum and the only aluminum actually cut out of it are the sliding slots.

All other cam gears I looked at had holes or designs cut into the drive hub which makes it weaker overall, the only one that did not was the golden eagle. Even the fasteners that come with the golden eagle for the adjustment slot are very high quality grade 10 12-point bolts. I think it will work great and allow me to set this thing at true 0 position after degreeing. I've already got my degree wheel ready to go :)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Good news! I get to finally pick my block up from the machine shop tomorrow! Last time I tell a machine shop to take their time lol.

Other parts have started to trickle in as well. Pics of what has come in so far:

Ring cutter. I've wanted one of these for a while, until I saw robgoof's solution literally a day after I bought this damn thing, see it here. I honestly like his solution better than this thing.

Walbro 450 and hardware.

Golden Eagle cam gear. I am disappointed that this isn't the solid aluminum hub design like was advertised in the sale, but the build quality of this gear is really damn good regardless. I LOVE the fact that the increments use a vernier indicator style instead of tiny ass little lines, very cool icing on the cake! Also didn't realize these don't come with a woodruff key in the packaging. Since the Y8 cam gear has the key made part of the drive hub, looks like I gotta go to the hardware store and raid the key box.

Continental Flex Fuel sensor.

K Tuner Flex Fuel sensor signal converter.

FIC 1000cc's

Came in a cool little box. Is this so you have a place to put the injectors to resend them to FIC for cleaning if necessary?

Injector Data Sheets:

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Picked up the block today from machine shop! The inserts are awesome, very well done.

He couldn't get the original inserts he was telling me about, since he was unable to source the 1.25 pitch versions from the place overseas due to backorder. He showed me the original order request made back in November, but still didn't have availability by end of December, so he ordered EZ-Loks instead since they were roughly the same tolerance thread cuts and that he trusted them with head studs.

He only charged 50 to put in 3 of them, and told me that he managed to buy enough of them to do the whole block if I wanted to do that. Originally I wanted to do this to the whole block, but I shyed away from it because he said it might cost quite a bit to do in labor (using the original requested inserts)

When I picked it up, he said that the 3 inserts installed so simply and straightforward with no major problems that it didn't take him long at all, and so he'd be willing to knock the rest of them out when I bring it back to cut the bores, hone and deck the block.

Pics of the insert job tomorrow. These were the inserts used: EZ-Lok Stainless M10x1.25 inside threads

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Block pics:

Looks like I will need to play with the heights of the inserts down in the bores to get them to engage the head studs the way I want, since it looks like they aren't all even in the holes.

Will need to put a stud down in there and see how threads engage and where the stud stops, then adjust with a screwdriver as needed.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts