Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
D16Y7 Turbo Build

So I have a D16Y7 that is stripped to the block in my backyard. I just recently blew my BMW drift missile and decided it’s time to take a break from drifting for just a bit. I’ve been so caught up in drifting that I’ve comepletly forgot what it’s like to own a reliable daily. Anyhow, the Y7 Came out of my perfectly running 98 Civic. One of my buddies was doing a k swap so he begged me for my shell until he got it. The engine had 189k miles on it before I tore out. Had no leak, compression was phenomenal, and everything overall internally looked 189k miles old (normal wear n tear).
I’ve been reading up and have came to the conclusion that d16’s love boost, are easily maintained, and are very reliable if done correctly.
I have a couple things that I have in mind on what I wanna do. Imma put a build list below, feel free to let me know if anything I mention shouldn’t be used and/or replaced with something better or OEM.

FJR Spec Rods
YCP 75.5 VITARA Pistons
ACL Race bearings
I’m not sure weather to keep the Y7 head. If I do
Super tech ValveSprings
Port N Polished
Delta 272 Camshaft

As for the turbo. I already have a GT3076R Ball bearing that I came across for a great price. I just couldn’t let it go.

I already have fueling & Ecu all figured out.

I know there’s a lot of information out there but I’m a very busy person with a tight schedule. I rarely have time to wipe my own.... So yeah, If you guys can help guide me In the right path and save me the time and struggle id be more than thankful and would most definitely try to find a way to give back to you all.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Unless you are going north of 300whp or thereabouts, I would not bother doing much with the cylinder head.
Just make sure its healthy via a machine shop inspection and cleanup.

Unless you plan on spinning it quite regularly beyond 7k rpm, the stock d16y7 head setup is strong and reliable. The camshaft leaves a lot to be desired after midrange rpms while naturally asperated, but with boost, does pretty okay.

If you have a really tight schedule and want the most reliability, Just build the rotating assembly nice and strong, use head studs in place of head bolts, and roll on 250-300whp at most.

FWD turbo setups do have a learning curve, and 250-300 horsees is perfect for figuring out if the chassis, brakes, and tires need more attention.

A low power turbo build with full suspension/bushings/ good tires is a lot more fun than some big power, but otherwise stock civic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knowing me, I’ll probably be spinning it quite often 😅 would another head be better if doing so? Like a y8 or z6?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
It does okay because its designed for low and midrange NA power, and boost will help balance that out as you ride the rpms upwards. It will suffocate the head a bit due to the low lift and short duration, so a regrind from a reputable company would make a nice difference even if you only got an extra 10-15% lift

a d16y8 head with a little port work to even out the flow per cylinder would be a better option. Not sure if you would actually see a big power difference boosted notec versus vtec boosted. There will be an improvement though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts