Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am having a bit of a problem with my tranny. I have a 92 cx and I put a jdm d15b in it about a year ago and left the cx tranny in b/c I didn't figure the ratios were going to be as bad as they are. Anyway, I am currently looking for either some different gears for mine so I can use my case or just to buy an ex/si tranny. My question is that right now when I put it in nuetral and let the clutch out I hear a rotating grinding type noise. When I push the clutch pedal in, the noise goes away. Is this the ISB? If so I saw the post about replacing it (if i decide to rebuild this tranny with diff. gears). thanks.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
no thats the throwout bearing. you should replace it anyways when you get a new tranny..

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
dont try swapping gears out of the cx tranny.... just buy an ex/si it will be the best thing u did to your car

·
Registered
605 Posts
ya that noise u hear is your throwout bearing and just buy a si/ex tranny dont rebuild the cx

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I had that noise in one of my hondas. Come to find out it was the pilot bearing getting ready to seize up. But both need to be replaced when changing a clutch and or tranny.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had that noise before. I dropped the transmission, replaced the throw out bearing, and guess what? problem NOT fixed.

I think mrnicolas knows the answer. Going to pick up a transmission for my fiancee's 97 tomorrow because of the same problem.

EDIT: 2 seconds too late. he is quick like ninja

·
Registered
605 Posts
just change all 3 bearings so u fix it 4 shure

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The weird part is that I put a new clutch with a new pilot and throwout bearing in it when i did the swap and that was in April of '06. Either way that tranny is way too long so I am going to get an ex/si. This is one of those times where I wish I lived in SoCal though b/c no one around here (alabama that is) has one. I wonder if those guys from Hmotorsonline have one of the jdm ones with the LSD.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
The weird part is that I put a new clutch with a new pilot and throwout bearing in it when i did the swap and that was in April of '06. Either way that tranny is way too long so I am going to get an ex/si. This is one of those times where I wish I lived in SoCal though b/c no one around here (alabama that is) has one. I wonder if those guys from Hmotorsonline have one of the jdm ones with the LSD.
yes hmotors has a lsd trans... it is the d15b lsd trans goes for around 450... they also have the dohc zc lsd.. but you gotta have a spot for the halfshaft and make custom axles (waste of time imho)

just go for the d15b lsd:TU: its the same gearing as the 92-95 si hatch trans.. same 1-4 as the ex but with the .750 5th

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
Doesn't the jdm d15b unit require different axles?
nope.. single cam tranny takes single cam axles.. now if u got the dohc zc trans.. u need to make custom axles

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, well that settles that then...I'll give HM a call and see what I can do, although I do feel weird buying a transmission that cost the same as my engine, haha. oh well.

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
If you're having problems finding a trans, Call Jim at Motorvations. You are in birmingham right?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I actually talked to Jim a while back when I first did the swap b/c i was having trouble. (come to find out it was a faulty ignitor) I didn't think to call him, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts