Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got time to replace my front struts:D , and got to it saturday morning.
I got the passenger side apart and shock off and found the autozone spring compression tool was for a much larger spring:skull: , so that pissed me off.
Went to the drivers side and started to turn the first lug and bam/damn the stud broke loose:shocked: . when i painted my rims i bought new lugnuts 12x1.5, so the autozone tech told me. The rest of the lugnuts on the drivers side were sticking as well, just not as bad as the one that broke. no taking the drivers wheel off on saturday.
i was going to take the struts to a local shop and have em compress the springs for me, but damn the luck.
is there anything i can do to fix this lug stud without ruining the rim to get it off?
there might be a 16th of an inch between the lugnut and the rim.

can the studs be replaced? how does that work? surely someone has done this before.......any info would be better thant what i got.

thanks
dave

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
take the wheel off, then take the brakes off, then take the spindle assembly, go to auto store and buy new studs, take to a place that does brakes and alignments and have them press the old ones out and press the new ones in....

then go in reverse of said instuctions above.....

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
not very well, that and the shop i went to charged me a dollar per stud when i was having my wheel bearings replaced.....

too prees out/in the studs

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
well, if it's that cheap!

haha, suckers.. my current ride has no studs. just wheel bolts. hah!
i am sure you could tdo the same with a honda, audi's have used bolts for years now.....

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
studs have to be pounded in, not a very hard deal...

as for springs, you shouldnt even need a compressor to remove the stock ones. just hold on to the strut and loosen the nut and the spring will pop off. careful, it might go farther than you think. putting shorter springs on should be pretty easy

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If the stud turns then should you be able to pull it out?

Take the rest of the lug nuts off and pull the wheel, i'm pretty sure the broken stud will come off w/ the wheel... then replace all the studs...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im just replacing the struts. No new springs yet.

Hold the strut and loosen the top bolt............
Isnt that dangerous?
Or are you giving me a hint to drop dead with a spring to the head?

I thought the utmost care was to be taken when handling the springs?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the stud turns and turns and turns it does not come out. for some reason the lugnut bound to the stud and when i flexed it broke loose.
of course im overly negative so Im thinking cutting torch, ruined rim.

i cannot buy rims right now, and I just painted those fuckers, and my front shocks are pure assssssssss.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
steve-o says that in their shop, they'd stand on the spring with one foot, and use an air ratchet to zip off the nut, sending the strut flying across the room into cardboard or tires or somethin. you can do it, just do it safely.

all of your lug nuts are stuck, and turn the studs, when you go to turn them? you might have to drill them out

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
if you have the studs turning with the lug nuts, then they are cross threaded or the wrong thread pitch, at this point i would take the whole spindle assembly off, and use an air hammer with a chisel tip, to break the back of the studs off, so you can get the wheel off and get it repaired asap.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone,
how do i get the springs back on? after using the "shoot the strut across the garage" technique. i wish i had all replacement parts.
a new set of coilovers would be nice.....
if i can figure out how to get the springs off and on again, i can do the strut change with the drivers wheel on.
then,i will stash cash get new rims and tires then i wil cut that stock 13" off my car and put my new kicks on.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Im just replacing the struts. No new springs yet.

Hold the strut and loosen the top bolt............
Isnt that dangerous?
Or are you giving me a hint to drop dead with a spring to the head?

I thought the utmost care was to be taken when handling the springs?
civic springs can be changed pretty easy without a compressor. helps to have 2 people though when reinstalling them onto a strut especially when you still rock stock springs.

ive done it on 2 different Civics, pretty easy once you figure out what is going to happen

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks ryan,
Im not gonna mess with the stock springs.
I just ordered a set of springs by MIMO USA 1" to 4"drop. i should have them by the 9th and only 100bucks. hopefully by then i can fix the lug stud problem. when i do replace the rims they will probably be 15's.
i have some pics i will get those up as soon as I can.
thanks again everyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts