Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I am new to this board and have spent the last two days lurking about and learning. I have a few questions as I have built several domestics and absolutely zero imports. I just bought my son a 98 civic lx with a D16y7.

1. What will the auto tranny handle reliably if we were to turbo? Everyone wants a 5 speed and I think i would prefer to keep the auto.

2. If there a beefier auto trans that will bolt up?

3. Can anyone direct me to site that expalins tuning options in very basic detail?

Thanks in advance and great site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Greetings all,
I am new to this board and have spent the last two days lurking about and learning. I have a few questions as I have built several domestics and absolutely zero imports. I just bought my son a 98 civic lx with a D16y7.

1. What will the auto tranny handle reliably if we were to turbo? Everyone wants a 5 speed and I think i would prefer to keep the auto.

2. If there a beefier auto trans that will bolt up?

3. Can anyone direct me to site that expalins tuning options in very basic detail?

Thanks in advance and great site.
PGMFI.org, great place to learn about tuning, etc.
AS far as the auto trans, idk never owned an auto.

·
Registered
196 Posts
^ welcome to the site these guy's have been the most helping than any of the other 5 sites i am on hope you have the same experience here that i do:)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
welcome to d-series...

and as for your question(s)...

1. automatic trans for the d-series are weak, they can handle up to about 150lbs, anything more than that and you'll be flirting with the descruction of the tranny...the manuals on the other hand are the complete opposite, they have been used in setups nearing ~450-500lbs without breaking at the drag strip...

2. as far as i know there are no other autos out there that can handle the torque you could be pulling out of a turbo motor...but, if you have the money, ability and resources you could probably build a custom tranny, or buy one, for the d16y7 motor...

3. manual swaps are not that bad, and if you are good for it this is my recommendation, it is cheaper and will handle the power more reliably...

i hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts