Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt a y7 motor with a y8 head. I finally got everything put together today and when I started the car it started idleing at about 2k. After it ran for about 10 mins or so it dropped down to about 700 for a few seconds and then jumped back up to anywhere from 1500-2k. So now any time you start the car the rpms bounce around from about 700 - 2k. Would the knock sensor cause this problem? I haven't hooked it up cause it cost 140 from advance auto and I can't find the wire that hooks to it. So would there be any other way of wiring the knock sensor up if I can't find the wire that hooks to it. The car originally had a y8 motor in it so it had a knock sensor. If that wouldn't cause the problem what else could it be?

Thanks

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
IACV...check it

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
small vac leak somewhere...i say its most likely the IACV

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, i just noticed that the sensor that is on the thermostat housing is broke. Could that be part of the problem? And is that is the coolant temp switch correct? Thats the problem with having a different people helping me with this. This is my first rebuild so I got who ever I could find to help me and it turned out to be about 3 different people on 3 different days?

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
the thermostat shouldnt have anything to do with it's idle...its time to do a thumb test!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats a thumb test? I'm new to all of this like i said it's the first rebuild I've done and it's starting to get on my nerves with all the different problems I have ran into from not having the right tools to missing parts like the mounting bracket for the pulley that goes between the crank and the a/c luckly summer is close to being over and i've gone all summer with out a/c so i'm used to it.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other thing, there is a valve sticking up on the top of the tranny. It looks like a vac line or something hooks to it, but I don't have any extra vac lines or even see where it would hook to. Like I said i had a few different people helping me and the one that helped me pull the motor says he doesn't remember seeing it. Need to know what this is before i try and drive the car home tomorrow, as long as cleaning or replacing the iacv works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do i need a hose or anything hooked up to it if its the vent tube? Or is that something I can mess with later?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts