Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was just talking to a friend who moved about 150miles away to go to college, he still comes down about once a month to visit his parents. Lately he's been looking into good gas milage and he came to me for help. One idea we had was a air/fuel controller, like the Apexi SAFC. He figured it'd be worth it since it can add a few hp and also be set to save gas on long drives, well with the help of an air to fuel ratio gauge. So far his engine is stock other then an short ram intake. My question is, can it really help with gas milage on our 1.6L engines? Oh yeah, forgot to mention, his car's a Sentra, not a civic, but I would guess it wouldn't be too different. Anyone run one of these in there NA D-series engines? Does leaning out the air/fuel ratio a bit help with gas mileage? Thanks guys

Patrick
97 Civic LX

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
strykersd said:
Hey guys, i was just talking to a friend who moved about 150miles away to go to college, he still comes down about once a month to visit his parents. Lately he's been looking into good gas milage and he came to me for help. One idea we had was a air/fuel controller, like the Apexi SAFC. He figured it'd be worth it since it can add a few hp and also be set to save gas on long drives, well with the help of an air to fuel ratio gauge. So far his engine is stock other then an short ram intake. My question is, can it really help with gas milage on our 1.6L engines? Oh yeah, forgot to mention, his car's a Sentra, not a civic, but I would guess it wouldn't be too different. Anyone run one of these in there NA D-series engines? Does leaning out the air/fuel ratio a bit help with gas mileage? Thanks guys

Patrick
97 Civic LX
interesting idea, but, IMO

driving style would have a better impact than playing with a safc...if you drive conservatively, and keep your car is a good tune with good tire pressures and the least amount of junk (weight) in the car, you should be pretty darn close to the peak efficiency of the setup. i am not saying its not possible to gain mpg with tuning the fuel curve from stock, but the stuff involved to do it correctly i think would outweigh the gains, if any were even to be found. if i were to attack something like this, i would also want timing controls too and a higher resolution fuel controller.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he does that, but he's mostly looking for the best mileage on long drives. I believe he already does the rest, like high tire pressure etc. We got the idea from looking at a site on the 3 stage vtec D-series heads, it said something bout how on the lowest cam profile (low RPMS) it runs air to fuel ratios as lean as 20:1 . Thanks

Patrick
97 Civic LX

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
strykersd said:
Yeah, he does that, but he's mostly looking for the best mileage on long drives. I believe he already does the rest, like high tire pressure etc. We got the idea from looking at a site on the 3 stage vtec D-series heads, it said something bout how on the lowest cam profile (low RPMS) it runs air to fuel ratios as lean as 20:1 . Thanks

Patrick
97 Civic LX
ahh...ic.

with such lean-burn conditions like the vtec-e deal, so many things are more important than ever- first is port design (and CC to an extent) for incredible swirl to atomize like nothing else and a close second is timing, which is uuuber CRITICAL...that's stuff you don't have control of unfortunately with the vafc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts