Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a discussion or debate but more of a PSA

A dear friend of mine over the weekend was involved in a fatal car wreck, his SUV flipped on its side and ejected him from the truck and landed on him, he was still alive until he got to the hospital. He had suffered a lot of blood loss and internal injuries and did not survive. He had a fiance and 6 kids.

A few notes from this event

Hug your loved ones and tell them that you love them, we hear this a lot but most take this time for granted, we never know when it will be the last time.

Stop and help any wreck on the side of the road that doesn't have police there yet, it took a bunch of people to get the truck off of my friend and no one was stopping to help, even if you help by getting traffic out of the way so an ambulance and police can get there easier than you are helping.

Really though this is just about me trying to get through to anyone who doesn't wear their seatbelt and thinks drinking and driving is OK. It isn't, he is leaving behind his girlfriend and 6 kids and his entire family is in pain because of the decisions he made. I saw his cousin (my other friend) and he was complaining that his fiance told him not to come home because he was drinking, he was almost trying to blame her but I made sure he knew that all she wanted was to not have THIS happen and explain to the kids that daddy isn't coming home ever...

I am about to head out to his visitation right now and then off to Florida for a few days. I will check in Tuesday likely

Love you DSO family

Beerdrinkin (Ben)

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
I feel for his family - and for you and his other friends.

The points you make are pertinent to all road users. Always stop. Even when the scene is full of people, it's worth asking if there's anything you can do. (People milling about does not always mean that there's meaningful action.)

Passing on DSO's collective sympathy won't make a blind bit of difference to his loved ones, at least not now, but it's there all the same.
Sometimes I wish I was a praying man.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Beer.
I preach this to my wife and kids daily I DO NOT CARE HOW FAR YOU ARE TRAVELING OR HOW WELL YOU THINK YOU DRIVE. It takes a split second to change your world and the lives of those around you. Please for the sake of whatever you believe in or love always ware your seat belt.

As for drinking and driving or under the influence.
I wish people would/could grasp the concept that it effects others not just them.
I have had family members killed by driving drunk and being hit by drunk drivers.
I also have family members with several DUI's that still drive. ( I don't know how or why the state lets them)

I myself was hit by an impaired driver a few years back. He was a felon it was his 3rd DUI he had multiple guns loaded in the car he ran once police arrived and got his info.
He also made it out of jail and home before I made it home that day with a little more than a slap on the wrist.

I think this is why we have the issues we do the states are not hard enough on drunk drivers they are given to many chances to kill themselves, their families, our families or even you on the roads.

Again sorry for the loss Beer this is just a subject that gets me worked up.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I felt this was the proper place to add this.

I had a friend who was killed 06/21/19 by a drunk driver.
My buddy was 32 just had a birthday on the 16th.
He just bought his motorcycle on the 6th.

A woman with 7 priors for drinking and driving was drunk already and headed to a bar she turned left in from of my friend he was on his motorcycle with his wife on the back. He was pronounced dead at the hospital. His wife had several injuries but will make it.
He leaves behind his wife, 5 children, and all his family/friends.

The lady was given a $100k bond on here 8th offense she literally killed a man and has the option to get out still. She had no license no insurance the car wasn't registered had open containers. We have to do more to make sure drunk driving goes away hold more people accountable for it. If a bar over serves hold them liable as well if a store sells to someone already drunk hold them liable as well.

Its sad today I have to get ready to attend a funeral for a 32 yr old man because 1 person made the decision to drive while drunk.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry to hear about your friend, I hope they can prosecute the shit out of her and she will have to serve a serious amount of time in prison.

My friends on the other hand haven't seemed to learn anything from what happened. Still drinking behind work on Fridays and then openly drinking at work on Saturdays, they will kill a 12 pack each before noon when we close. Then they leave and go drink somewhere else or stay there longer.

I don't know what it takes for some people to learn, I made my opinion clear about it when I saw it still going on but no one cares about themselves or the other lives they could destroy.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
Some people never grow up some people never grow to respect others.
It's a sad fact but for most alcoholics to stop drinking and driving they must first kill someone else or themselves.

Not going to say I haven't ever done it because I have. But I can say I wont ever do it again. I refuse to drink I might take a sip of a drink my wife has but other than that I refuse I don't care where I'm at.

I consider myself a recovering alcoholic and will for the rest of my life therefor I won't drink again for fear of where it will lead me again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts