Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A/C Repair. HELP!!!!!!! *UPDATE*

So......My a/c had a leak at the compressor so i replaced the o-rings, vacumed out the system and recharged it. The freon cans i got started leaking on me when i was putting it in the system so im not sure if i have enough in or not. The compressor stays on but air stays hot. My gauges read....
A/C ON
Low:8
High:178

A/C OFF
Low:101
High:125

Could there be a clog or the compressor not working, please help its hot as shit here and i need my A/C. Any and all help will be rep'ed.

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
what did you use to vac the system out? where did the cans start leaking from? you may need to replace the orifice tube.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what did you use to vac the system out? where did the cans start leaking from? you may need to replace the orifice tube.
Used a a/c vac pump pulled to -30psi and held, cans were leaking from the can seal not where the hose connects, and where would the orifice tube be located on my 88' hatch?
BTW i have a 134a conversion.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
Did you recharge the system afterwords?

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
Oh i see...ok, you might have some blockage somewhere, im not sure how much it should take, but it sounds like its blocked up.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i see...ok, you might have some blockage somewhere, im not sure how much it should take, but it sounds like its blocked up.
Thats what i was thinking, do you know where the orifice tube is on an 88' hatch.

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
sorry man was watching the kids all day . the orifice tube should be between the compressor and the dryer. most likely in the hole where the refrigerant goes into the dryer.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry man was watching the kids all day . the orifice tube should be between the compressor and the dryer. most likely in the hole where the refrigerant goes into the dryer.
^^^^Can anybody tell me if he is correct about the location of the orifice tube? Just want to be sure before I start tearing stuff apart.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
I googled it, and didnt get it, but if you got a manual, or can find one online, than it should be easy to find.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'll take a crack at this, because I think Have the same issue. After 10 yrs of faithfull service from my A/C it finally gave out. So I took it to the reputable A/C guy in town they filled it up it worked great, but the A/C would shut it self down (mind you this was happening already)....

Anyway according to the A/C guy its the Expansion Valve and its a 65 dollar part, but it will cost around 220 total to switch it out. Because he would have to refill the freon again.

He explained to me the Expansion Valve regulates how cold the air gets.... duh a valve...hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll take a crack at this, because I think Have the same issue. After 10 yrs of faithfull service from my A/C it finally gave out. So I took it to the reputable A/C guy in town they filled it up it worked great, but the A/C would shut it self down (mind you this was happening already)....

Anyway according to the A/C guy its the Expansion Valve and its a 65 dollar part, but it will cost around 220 total to switch it out. Because he would have to refill the freon again.

He explained to me the Expansion Valve regulates how cold the air gets.... duh a valve...hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense......But......Where is the expansion valve located and or the orifice tube. Can't seem to see anything that would resemble either.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Sounds like your undercharged. if your system is shutting itself off its because the compressor is getting too hot and the little thermovalve on the compressor is clicking off breaking the circuit (do NOT mess with this, its there to protect your compressor from melting into a giant ball of molten shit). what this means is either, your low on charge or you have a restriction in the system. such as a bad thermoexpansion valve.

i recently converted my crx to the sanden compressor (was matushita) and put 134a in with a oil change/flush. the TX valve went bad during the changover and is causing insane highside pressures along with the system short cycling and the compressor thermoswitch kicking off because of too much heat. The part is about 60$ from the dealer and you have to remove the evaporator to get to it.

·
bwah ha ha ha ha
CRX
1,475 Posts
most likely in the hole where the refrigerant goes into the dryer.
Sounds like what I was first thinking...

Seems like an even better explanation now that I read this

The expansion valve is located on top of the evaporator...

Did you replace your drier when you changed your o-rings? And did you just convert or had it been for some time?

I think it's a good idea to replace the drier if you are converting or have been running your system for a long time even if you have converted (In my opinion)...

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like what I was first thinking...

Seems like an even better explanation now that I read this

The expansion valve is located on top of the evaporator...

Did you replace your drier when you changed your o-rings? And did you just convert or had it been for some time?

I think it's a good idea to replace the drier if you are converting or have been running your system for a long time even if you have converted (In my opinion)...

And it was already converted to 134a, and no i did not replace the drier, which you are right its always a good idea to replace.

One last question.....Is there an orifice tube in the system or just the expansion valve.

·
bwah ha ha ha ha
CRX
1,475 Posts
The only place where there could be a orifice or orifice tube would be at the expansion valve, high or low port, or at the drier.

·
Registered
618 Posts

hope that image worked :3dtard:

anyway the expansion valve according the A/C guy, is located in the passenger side, forward of the glovebox.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts