Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahh today in so cal is like super hot... and i notice my a/c is pretty much only enough to cool.. my face

what kind of r-134 do i need?
i read from somewhere hondas need a special type? true/F?

want to get artic freeze/sub-zero.. are those ok?(cuz they advertise faster cooling...) what about synthetic ones?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just sounds like your charge is low, get the charge with the dye in it, you shouldn't need anything special. I just changed mine to 134 from r12. Just changed the fittings vaced the system and recharged/re-oiled with 134, ice cold now..

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
i wish i had a/c..i could sure use it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man a/c rules in this hot humid ass NC!! Gotta have it.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
its humid as hell in bama.. im not used to it. im used to californias dry heat.. my car has it but h2b is non compatable. im fixing to make something to make it work

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got the artic freeze "ultra synthetic" with dye and stop leak

hooked up the hose and it says 45psi...(maximum at safe range) :( then i rev the engine a bit and it dropped a bit so i added in some anyhow..

the a/c barely improved any... hooked it up again and now it read above 45psi (over filled range).. is it suppose to do that..?

quote" come on didn't you hear... hot sweaty muscles are the new craze....just take off your shirt and whoooo the ladies " LOLZ dude sounds fun to do don't think the cops will like it though

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
evac the current R-134 charge, pull a 29.6-29.8" vacuum on the system, refill with proper amount of refrigerant.

Alot of shops will only suck down to 28" and then recharge, this doesn't get all the moisture out. Also a tiny leak will prevent a good evac to 29.6" and a a knwoing tech would start looking for possible leaks, like o-rings.

45 psi means little without a GOOD set of gauges and knowing the temps. Getting TOO much liquid into a system and having it get back to the compressor, bad news. Like hydrolocking a motor.

You won't notice it in the heat, but let it get cold and you decide to use the defrost/AC and BAMM!

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
Oh shit!!! Sorry I didnt see this earlier. Let me walk you threw this.
1 there is a high side and a low side, what side are you measuring at?
2 the clutch cycles on and off. you want to look at the highest high side reading and the lowest low side reading. Both usually right before the clutch cycles off.
3 45 psi does not sount like a good reading in ether case
4 please tell me you didnt just say "stop leak." Most shops will now not touch your a/c. the stop leak ruins the equipment and contaminates your system. it will build up in your system and cause major problems. So if you have to bring it anywhere your fucked. sorry to say.
5 some times (as in a/c work) its best just to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm 45psi is what the bottle recommands.. it's on the bottle, says 0-25 is low, 25-45 is filled,45-65 is alert, 65+ danger

the gauge comes with the package

here's what i did:
- open a/c to max
- shake the can
- put the adapter to the low side
= reading at 45psi
-rev engine a bit
-reading drops about 3
-so i added some
-un-hook adapter
-put back adapter
=reading is now over 45psi, temperature only slightly colder

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=27&PID=225
^ this is what i got

i did the exact thing to my friend's corolla last year and got his running back up.. and i did a rsx today and it got a lot colder.. all with the same procedure
one thing i notice.. the bottle doesn't get cold when i try to fill mines
it gets cold when i did the other two cars.. what gives?

·
Great example of a n00b
278 Posts
Newbie Question.

I have a 93 lx (I guess it uses R12)... Would pulling an A/C unit from 94 (or any eg/d-series motor) that uses R134 be better than using R134 retro kit? And is it possible to swap it out and fit without any big modifications?

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
^^ If your a/c works leave it alone. Retro kits work fine b/c Im pretty sure Honda used the same stuff on all egs. Im not 100% on that so correct me if Im wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts