Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time ago my A/C compressor lost its clutch and I took out the whole compressor since I wasn't using the AC ( I usually drive the car at night on weekends). Today I removed the ac lines, the reservoir, and AC little radiator but I left the FAN installed coz it blows right on the turbo compressor and it's a plus for the cool down process.

Now...

I was looking at the AC rad carefully and, I noticed that it's a small fluid capacity, has its own FAN and I wondered if in the future I could convert it in a OIL COOLER!

Anybody done this before? What are your opinions? Would the oil cool Down too fast?

Shoot your ideas!

EDIT; MODS if this is in the wrong place feel free to move but please let me know where u put it to follow the thread. Thanx

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i think its way to big to be an oil cooler...

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
figure out how to do it and then let us know if it works. i mean even if it is a little large wouldn't another half or 3/4 of a quart of oil make it up?

this is only slightly off topic, but a friend of mine has a radiator in his ej coupe that has hookups for running automatic tranny fluid in it and he was thinking that he could use that as an oil cooler. would that work?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
this is only slightly off topic, but a friend of mine has a radiator in his ej coupe that has hookups for running automatic tranny fluid in it and he was thinking that he could use that as an oil cooler. would that work?
i dont see why it would not work

he would just need to run some oil lines to it

only problem i can think of is having to find some way to drain the oil out when u do ur oil change....

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
the tubes are on the bottom of the radiator so i think it would almost completely drain after removing the lines.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tubes are on the bottom of the radiator so i think it would almost completely drain after removing the lines.
Also I was lookin... it can be cutted and reduced to 2/3 of ith height... and neet to tap the two end cylinders...

·
Registered
632 Posts
As far as I can tell from my searches, cars with oil coolers i.e. Rx-7, Porsche, e.t.c have used them as a secondary oil cooler without a problem. I doubt the condenser would have much of a problem holding the pressure. I'd search for the specs on the condensers PSI and temp limits before trying anything though. Do your homework first and if you do decide to go ahead get it flushed and hey look at it this way, if don't like the results just take it off. Give it a shot because anything cooling the oil would be better than nothing cooling the oil. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
As far as I can tell from my searches, cars with oil coolers i.e. Rx-7, Porsche, e.t.c have used them as a secondary oil cooler without a problem. I doubt the condenser would have much of a problem holding the pressure. I'd search for the specs on the condensers PSI and temp limits before trying anything though. Do your homework first and if you do decide to go ahead get it flushed and hey look at it this way, if don't like the results just take it off. Give it a shot because anything cooling the oil would be better than nothing cooling the oil. Let us know how it goes.
Condensers are made to hold hundreds of pounds of freon pressure. im 100% positive it could hold up to anything your oil pump could dish out lol. Problem i do see is the oil being too thick when you start your car up to flow through all of the 90 degree bends it has. (it would come out of it like a pee stream).

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
go try to piss thru a coffee stirrer, then think about the size of your AC coil.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go try to piss thru a coffee stirrer, then think about the size of your AC coil.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
I shall take a pics and measures... but there are more than a stirrer... should be easy to piss in like 9-10 of them... :wink:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Condenser. It's not a radiator.

Condenser = gas in, liquid out.

It's got a specific purpose for refrigeration. Get a real oil cooler if you want an oil cooler.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Condenser. It's not a radiator.

Condenser = gas in, liquid out.

It's got a specific purpose for refrigeration. Get a real oil cooler if you want an oil cooler.
LOL,

Why it gas condense? Coz it gets cool and turns liquid. What can happen to a hot liquid? exit as cool liquid! and if meant for gas, it should hold a little high pressure.

I will post pics and measures, and compare to a real oil cooler.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
someone needs to look up pressure/temps charts :)

the condersor CANNOT flow enough oil to keep the motor happy, period.

Forget the idea, do it right, don't half ass this.

If your dead set on using the AC condesor, be willing to spend $500 on an electric driven pump, figure out HOW much drain that will put on the electrical system.

But doing it right is only about $150.......you decide how much you wanna fuck up a motor.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Im sorry, it wasnt "hundreds" of pounds of pressure, this is exactly how much pressure there would be on the high pressure side wich is what the condesor is, its right after the compressor, wich compresses it raising the temperature and causing it to turn into a liquid. at 100 degrees, it is at 145 PSI. On the low side, it should be about 128.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts