Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well lets see here...when i got this hatch, the ac would cycle on and off simultaneously...and it wasnt cooling very much...sooo...i replaced the expansion valve, compressor switch, receiver drier, and evaporator, and thermostat on the evaporator...with all this having been done, the damn a/c still does the exact same thing...

it doesnt cool very well, and it cycles on and off, more often to off, and i dont know what the hell is wrong with it...ive even taken it to a shop, and the guy was like, well replace the evaporator, or expansion valve, receiver drier, and thermostat on evaporator, or compressor switch...all of which i have already replaced...so does anyone know what it might be?

could it be a relay or wire? i have no clue and its hot as hell in south texas...

·
Registered
376 Posts
i'm having the same exact problem...i have a 93 coupe and i have spent so much money trying to fix the ac. What i am going to do is buy a direct fit grounding kit on Ebay (might help with a possible grounding problem) and i also think that there is some kind of cooler/blower setup in the dash board that connects into the ac compressor...it has a lot of sensors that connects to it and there could be a problem there...these civics are over 10 years old and when heat hits the dash for over 10 years some electrical connections might be a little messed up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know what it could be...im all out of ideas...theres 2 relays attached to the fan for the condenser....i dont know if these could be the problem...im supposed to be picking up a working, used ac system...see if replacing piece by piece will result in it working...what i dont understand is its not every civic, i have friend with cars as old if not older, whose ac still works like new..

·
Registered
15 Posts
drkgrncvc said:
how would i go about checking the 12v signal, and how do i check the compressor clutch?
Multimeter, or ohmmeter which is less expensive.

The compressor clutch is what engages the pulley that spins the compressor. Like the clutch between your engine and tranny, same concept here. you have a pulley that spins by way of your serpintice belt, when you push your ac button, it engages the compressor clutch, which spins your compressor to start circulating cold air. To check it means just make sure that when you press the ac button, that the compressor actually engages. Have someone help you out by pressing the button for you. ;) hope that helps some.

That's the gist of it anyways.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand the concept of the ac clutch on the compressor and how it works...what im saying is when i switch on the ac, the compressor kicks on, and shuts off almost automatically, and it does this, more often than not the compressor shuts itself off...i dont know if the internals themselves on the compressor could cause it to do this...ive read up on ac systems and pretty much the only thing that hasnt been replaced is the compressor, and well the wiring..

·
Registered
15 Posts
drkgrncvc said:
i understand the concept of the ac clutch on the compressor and how it works...what im saying is when i switch on the ac, the compressor kicks on, and shuts off almost automatically, and it does this, more often than not the compressor shuts itself off...i dont know if the internals themselves on the compressor could cause it to do this...ive read up on ac systems and pretty much the only thing that hasnt been replaced is the compressor, and well the wiring..
Alright, process of elimination here. Your down to those two things. Check and make sure your compressor is getting a constant 12V, if it is, then yeah, all signs point to a bad compressor. They don't go bad often, but they do. And your down in Texas, so it gets used I would imagine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How are you guys charging your systems? If you are overfilled then the ecu will not allow continuous lock up of the clutch. Make absolutely sure that you are filling by weight and not the sight glass on the reciever/drier.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
I had that problem because there was too much oil in the system, the compressor would overload an stop, then try and start again, for me it also really loaded up the engine when the AC was on. Vac and recharge and i was good to go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ONECAMWONDER said:
How are you guys charging your systems? If you are overfilled then the ecu will not allow continuous lock up of the clutch. Make absolutely sure that you are filling by weight and not the sight glass on the reciever/drier.

well the first time i had a shop do it and they said everything was where it should be after they evac'd and recharged but the compressor was doing the same thing...o well, im pickin up a used one a friend of mine had in his car but gutted the car so im pickin it up for $30 this weekend, ill throw it on and take it to a shop to have it looked at again..o and my poor lil cx has no sight glass on the drier...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts