Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to gather a parts list of A/C components that will work with the current setup.

1991 Crx Si with 1999 jdm D15B 3 stage V-TEC-E engine out of a Civic VTi. The A/C bracket and pulleys for the d15b are still on the engine.
The original EF compressor and all A/C lines were tossed during the swap.

Will a compressor from a 1999 honda civic work? The bracket and pulleys are there, so I don't see why it wouldn't.
I'd have to route new A/C lines. I think I'd purchase all other components for 1991 crx (condenser, expansion valve, blower motor, dryer etc..) Right?

This Texas heat sucks. I need A/C.
Any info or help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or.... The simpler method. If anyone has this swap with working a/c, what bracket is needed to mount a 88-91 compressor to a 1999 civic d15b? Thanks again.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,949 Posts
find a local pick and pull and get the things you need....or craigslist.....or facebook marketplace....

get the 88-91 plumbing and a 96-00 compressor since its r134a

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was leaning towards. The plumbing from the 88-91 EF connections to the '99 compressor will need some customizing correct?
Thank you for the clarification.
I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,949 Posts
shouldn't be too hard to cut the hard lines for both and have an a/c shop weld/braze them together again....and since itll need to be purged, they'll be able to test it and fill it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to start ordering parts today.
Picking up a compressor from the local yard to test fit everything before I drop money on a new Sanden.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Yep, mount the newer compressor up, change the R12 valves on the lines with R134a valves (many car parts stores sell these conversion kits), and make sure you change the drier as well, prolly good time to do it.

If you know a buddy with an AC machine, just have him hook it up to vacuum for an hour to purge any and all moisture out, toss in 1-3 oz of compressor oil, and fill system like normal.

do an inspection of your condensor also.

I could have sworn there were factory honda lines that bolted up.

Maybe from an integra?

Scour the interwebz lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Matt,
yes I'd still need to do a retrofit to the ef valves to go from r12 to r134a. So turns out everything else should be straight forward. All the other components seem pretty well priced brand new that it's best to replace it all at once. Anyone have experience with those a/c face plates to replace the cracked ones? I'm assuming they're like an overlay.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update on the progress. I was trying to pin down the exact make, model, and year civic this engine came out of. My brother stated it was from a JDM 1999 EK VTi hatchback. I did some digging and found the D15B 3stage came in two models. The CIVIC EK VTi hatchback, and the HONDA CIVIC FERIO Vi-RS 4dr sedan. (Both JDM only) The Ferio was considered the "sporty version of the two" due to cosmetics only. Although both have the exact same engine. Anyways, I thought that was interesting!

Back to the A/C situation:

I searched the net for positive reviews of aftermarket compressors in the Sanden trs090 style... Best match was a Denso compressor. Great reviews, priced at $207.00 shipped from rock auto. NAPA was asking over $100 more for the SAME compressor! Swindlers!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Not swindling.

Simply difference of selling through a warehouse versus having 3, 4, even 5 more people to get paid in the chain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup. I know. I was being overly dramatic.

On another note I only need the firewall to compressor and condenser to firewall lines. Yay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hit the local pick and pull grabbed the hoses needed, along with the compressor bolts and any other attached hardware / wiring etc.

I was surprised to find two oem radios. Had to pull those also! The tape deck is from a 92 and the cd player out of a 96 I believe.
Now to test em out.
50% off day.... I made outta there only paying $17 total. Woop woop.

Anyways, just waiting on the condenser!
I'll have AC soon enough!!!!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts