Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I spent the last summer slowly building a turbokit for my EJ9, which I sort of finished. I got it running, sort of. Then started having issues, namely wideband not working alongside some major exhaust leaks, which lead to me reverting the car back to stock (which I would've had to do anyways due to MOT).

Now heres the thing. Currently, I've got 3 spare engines in varying conditions, a 92 ESi transmission (which I'm rebulding shortly and installing a helical lsd (mfactory clone)), d16y8 head and a hondata s300 v2. The ecu that I was planning to use (speeduino v0.4.3) didn't work too well (mostly due to my lack of experience with it and shoddy vacuum lines), which led me to purchase the hondata.

The plan was to drive the car as is until I get MOT sorted, then put all the turbo stuff back in and call it a day, but now that I've managed to get so much stuff for next to nothing, I've started thinking about building a proper turbo setup that could hold the all the power, end goal being in the 300-400whp range on E85. I figure it would cost somewhere around 700€ (~850$) (l15b2 forged rods ~240€, clutchkit ~160€, BC1070 valvespings ~130€, vitara piston kit ~150€ and some misc gaskets etc.).

But now that I've got the car running again I'm kinda tempted to just slap the y8 head (possibly with BC springs) on the stock block, fab an ITB manifold and make a 2.25" exhaust with 600mm long 35mm dia 4-1 headers. The static Comp ratio would be 10.75:1, and with some e85 I figure it would be somewhere in the 130-150whp range. This setup would cost me roughly 150-200€ due to me having much of the stuff just laying around (and having access to a machine shop).

What do you guys think? Should I just skip the NA thing and build the turbo engine or do both?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just turbo it and not just sort of...
Yeah thats what I'm gonna do, just don't feel like dealing with possible turbo related issues during the winter, thats why I'm tempted on building NA, the car is my DD after all (should've prob mentioned that).

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Well, lets make it super simple.
Get it stock, and tune it on the hondata. Get it running SUPER smoothly.

Then build a spare motor on the side. Give yourself the amount of time you are comfortable with to satisfy yourself and to verify all ends are met properly.

Then drop it in and have some fun. During this whole time, you would be fine tuning the stock engine, perhaps tossing a cheap header on it for a little more upper rpm support, and basically, getting to know how the sensors are reacting, and what tuning changes are effecting directly.

Everyone started at a zero! Take baby steps, and you wont ever have to deal with foolish disaster!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts