Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 99 ex sedan d16y8 that I am putting a turbo on and have a question about the air injection on my intake manifold. First off removing the stock air box leaves you with having to plug a nipple that leads to the air injection, so instead of plugging it I was thinking it could be good for a vacuum source for turbo stuff.

Now my question, since it bypasses the throttle body is it under constant vacuum besides when i go into boost? Would this be an ideal place to hook up my boost gauge and bov? My only other option is to tee off the fpr vacuum line and run the bov and boost gauge like i did last time.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That port goes to valve on the thermostat that leads to the intake tube. It's basically an enhanced FITV. With it redirected to vacuum accessories, it should provide vacuum. The problem is it's not an ideal vacuum source. You may have more or less vacuum and/or resonance happening vs the plenum. It would also direct air mixed with fuel into the cavity & tubes under boost, not a good thing.

The FPR is a terrible spot to tee from. I've helped many people solve problems relating from using sharing that hose. It doesn't offer much flow and can disrupt fuel pressure quite easily, and they will be rather harsh & fast.

The BEST thing to do is tee off the brake booster line to a vac manifold, then feed your gauge/bov/turbo/etc off individual nipples. If you get a short vac manifold you could even put 3/8" nipples on either end and put it in-line with the booster's hose, using it as a oversized tee.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That port goes to valve on the thermostat that leads to the intake tube. It's basically an enhanced FITV. With it redirected to vacuum accessories, it should provide vacuum. The problem is it's not an ideal vacuum source. You may have more or less vacuum and/or resonance happening vs the plenum. It would also direct air mixed with fuel into the cavity & tubes under boost, not a good thing.

The FPR is a terrible spot to tee from. I've helped many people solve problems relating from using sharing that hose. It doesn't offer much flow and can disrupt fuel pressure quite easily, and they will be rather harsh & fast.

The BEST thing to do is tee off the brake booster line to a vac manifold, then feed your gauge/bov/turbo/etc off individual nipples. If you get a short vac manifold you could even put 3/8" nipples on either end and put it in-line with the booster's hose, using it as a oversized tee.

I know the fpr is a bad spot but it worked fine last time, so your saying I should just cap the air injection? Should I use a screw and some hondabond maybe or some sort of clamp? My problem is the fpr vacuum is the only small nipple so im stuck using it for now until I can get a vacuummanifold and do the booster line as you said

edit: ok so i think i will run the boost gauge off the fpr and the bov off the back of the manifold that goes to the cruise control, thanks xile i didnt even notice that spot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts