Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Civic Hatch DX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been looking over engine swaps again for my 1999 Canadian EJ6 civic DX HB and found that doing a k20a swap is to much for my wallet atm (College life), so i was thinking that doing a OBD2 D15B VTEC swap so i can get rid of my dreaded D16y7 non-VTEC. Im not looking for crazy number on building this engine, all im looking for is maybe 200-250 (with turbo). Im just asking for positive input and parts for building a D15b. This will be a part by part build so no rushing. Thanks guys

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Why go d15b?

edit: never mind wrong motor in info given.

·
Registered
1999 Civic Hatch DX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrong motor? its between that and the d16z6..but ive been searching for a straight two weeks and still cant wrap my head around which one to go. i was reading on super street online at thier SOHC power builds and that seemed to pop out to me cause you hardly see anyone build up a Dseries and i want to do it for the heck of it

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,389 Posts

do some searching. no rushing means you have all the time in the world to read and learn. hell Im shooting for 250whp on my build. take time out of your day to see what Ive already read

fuck it, heres a tea spoon

the odb2 d15b are pretty much the same as y8's.
the d16z6 is the same as the odb1 d15b's. now, start reading up

·
Registered
1999 Civic Hatch DX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im trying to learn through the forums and with peoples help and advise. i dont consider it spoon feeding. I consider it as helping someone who wants to learn

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You are asking questions that have been covered is all he means, read between the lines.

To answer your question, not wrong if it is what you want, I am just trying to gauge how much you have read.

I would go with a motor that has more support in the after market, if I was going turbo, and as high in the hp range as you wanna go.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A y7 is fine for turbocharging. Why do you want to swap?

Y7 with a y8 manual intake and 2 wire IACV conversion + OBD1 adapter and ecu and you are good to go.

Biggest performance difference between a y7 and y8 in stock form are the tranny, intake manifold and exhaust in about that order.

·
4,389 Posts
lol, sees the pic, ignores the text underneath

·
Registered
1999 Civic Hatch DX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are asking questions that have been covered is all he means, read between the lines.

To answer your question, not wrong if it is what you want, I am just trying to gauge how much you have read.

I would go with a motor that has more support in the after market, if I was going turbo, and as high in the hp range as you wanna go.
Oh sorry then, i guess i just need help navigating the forums better :/ i mean the Ideal is Bseries for aftermarket support lol. but ik that Bisi has D16z6 aftermarket cams and headers, Rywire, and ik that OBD1 is much more programmable then the OBD2. I also know that i could easliy just get a ZC or Y8 head for my current Y7 but im very iffy on Frankenstein.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You dont need cams for your numbers, you dont need a conversion harness if you can read. Further more, you need to read more.

I learned everything I know from research, I haven't built a turbo motor, but I have fixed mine enough, rebuilt everything on my car except the inside of my motor. Brakes, bushings, suspension, trans, wiring etc.

If you start with making it reliable rather then built, you will gain more knowledge and stay in it longer then if you drop cash, break your shit first trip out and end up selling it for a more "reliable motor" when it was you all along needing the upgrade.

·
4,389 Posts
want to be spoon fed? ok, cool

search a member named "bogusSVO" pm him and ask him to source you a z6 block. ask him to do a "slo" build, with all the goodies. if you can assemble it yourself, all the power to you, if not, ask if he can.
pay him and have it shipped.

presto, a block capable of 300+ hp

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
Stay away from the 3 stage d15b, truly more trouble than it's worth, I wish I would have just gone with a jdm y7 equivalent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts