Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up DSO? It has been a while since I have been on here, so long that I lost access to my other account and had to make a new one. Last build I had on here was my 91 hatch with a z6 turbo, ran 11s then spun a rod bearing.
After that I kind of got out of the honda game and focused on work school etc. I needed a daily because driving the diesel to 4 miles to work one way and back was getting really expensive. So thats where the 99 comes in. Found it on a Facebook page local. Its a 1999 ex with newer y7 bottom end and y8 head. Everything on it is bone stock.

I drove it 45 miles home no problems at all except for cat efficiency to low code. Just been daily driving it.

I have a few plans for it. Right now I am working on sourcing another z6 block to start my rebuilt engine. As for the car I am working on fixing all the little issues and getting it to be a nice daily driver. Working toward mpg with the engine that is in it but once the turbo engine is done I will put it in.

So far I have ran new rear brake lines for both rear brakes, new fuel return line and replace passenger side parking brake cable. Fixed the shifter boot, cleaned the interior.

I just tried to post pictures but says my post count is to low.

Going to install a test pipe this week and fix the whole in the exhaust.

I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 years ago when I built my first boosted honda I would have swore I would never put a factory exhaust on anything. Well time has changed. First time I have installed a factory replacement exhaust and muffler. Not going to lie, it is great on the daily driver! Also installed new shifter bushings.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Nice little ride, where are you at in Michigan?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
oem hurts to look at lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Located in Lansing, I had another account on here years ago with my other build thread but I was unable to recover the account. So i made a new one.

I know the crush bent exhaust made me giggle but so nice and quite when driving to work.

When I boost it, i'm sure the exhaust setup will change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Worked on the car today. Replaced both rear shocks with stock ride height generic brand ones. Going to have to get lowering springs. It sits way to high for me, even as a dd. Also both trailing arm bushings were shot same with the camber arms. Had an extra set of energy suspension bushings and some adjustable camber arms from a pervious build. Threw all that on, along with some eBay lower control arms.

Improvised with some material i had laying in the garage to help set the new bushing in and yes that is an old lawn mower blade. lol

All done installing.

Car sits so high. Looks goofy with shiny control arms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I have had a lot of honda's in my day. The black 99 coupe is a built d-series with a forward facing borg warner snail. The teg is my brother daily. The crx is a b16a swap.

Back to 99. I honestly am very disappointed in the ride quality with the new shocks and springs in the rear. I am not sure if it fully due to the solid trailing arm bushings but the rear rides very very stiff. Every crack of the road makes the car feel like it is hitting hard.

I am looking to find a d16z6 bottom end to send to the machine and get ready for a turbo build for the summer time in the sedan. Will post pictures of the turbo setup.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up a catch can from a buddy that got out of honda's years ago. He had an already vented valve cover powder coated and unfinished catch can for super cheap. He even let me use his tig and finish the putting the side plate on the catch can. He made it years ago with some 1/4" alum. lol a little thick but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I closed it up putting on a piece of 18g alum.

Still learning. Have a long way to go with the tig but hoping to pick one up this summer and practice more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I am going to attempt to keep as clean as possible. Right now debating on using the top mount manifold I had on my previous build or make a manifold ac/ps compatible. I want to run at least mid 11's. Same as my hatch did a few years ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eh well some bad news today. Drove the car to work and it was running a little warm and had no heat. Literally drove perfect the night before. But got home after work and seen it was low on coolant. Not sure where it went, either bad head gasket or leaking water pump. So i figured it was a good day to get the engine out I was going to put together, well that didn't turn out good either.

It was a high compression block with eagle rods and je pistons. Ran it and had no issues or bearing noises. Well I'll let the pictures tell what I found. Need less to say i am going to need to source a crank.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crower valve springs and retainers as well as stage 2 turbo cam. Bisi cam gear. All used on my last build.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
It looks like another fun build! I had a similar color EK but mine was a coupe and i miss that thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did a little work on the car today. Got out my turbo mani and turbo on the mock up engine. Going to make some adjustments to manifold to try and get it to fit ps and ac.

Seat rails had a little surface rough on the fronts. Sanded them and sprayed them black.

Mock up of turbo i had. Wanted to see where I would need it to clear everything. My turbo will not have the welded elbow on it.

Had a badgeless grill in the garage from another build. Threw that on due to the original being cracked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found a conversion harness in the garage in a box yesterday. Plugged it in and threw on neptune. Stock p28 map. Thinking about boosting the stock engine for fun with a smaller turbo setup until I get my other engine built.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts