Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I was driving to work, heard a thunk, and the engine died while cruising at 60mph in 5th gear. I pulled over, looked under the hood, notice that ALL of the accessory belts are loose, so I look closer to see how that could happen. I notice that the large pulley that usually hangs off the block is just . . . missing! It turns out, my crank pulley just sheared right off while I was rolling down the highway! It snapped off the end of the crankshaft along with it, as you can see from the included pictures that I got from putting my phone in video mode and screenshotting the good views.

So, anyway, if I do 10 different searches, I get 10 different answers as to how to get the car back on the road. I haven't cracked the engine open to see if the valves are okay, but as you can see, the timing belt sprocket slipped forward when it didn't have the crank pulley to hold it in place, so if anyone can hazard a more-educated-than-me guess, or knows from experience, let me know.

I was thinking of getting another shortblock. The y8 shortblocks are harder to find, but it seems that I can use a y7 and only worry about the knock sensor. There are various threads where people make offhand comments about the cranks being different, which I don't believe, or a tapped hole for VTEC which some argue is for earlier engines, etc. So, definitely, do anyone know if I can really just use pretty much ANY year 2000 or earlier d-series block in my 1999 EX, factory installed d16y8? Just make sure the knock sensor is good? I'd love to be able to expand my search to be ANY non-B Civic.

Also, while it's out, any recommendations for "low hanging fruit" maintenance or modifications? I'm changing the timing belt and water pump. I see some d16y8 rebuild kits, but I am not sure that I trust the parts in those seemingly-Chinese made knockoffs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
you answered your own question

swap to y7 block

with some handy work you can install the knock sensor.

send the head off to be checked, a piston could easily have kissed a valve and made it unhappy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts