Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 civic dx
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to working on my car and need some help.

very soon im comming into an extra 600$ to put into my car.

im wanting to do some things to my y7 to make it faster.

Car has 106hp stock, what id really want is 130-150hp.

So what are some things i can do with 600$ to acheive this goal???

by the way as of now my car is bone stock.. not even cold air intake.

I think i could do some engine work cause i figured out how to take off throttle body and iacv and clean them out all by myself (not saying that is a daunting task or anything but..)

Anywayz....... 600$ list some things i could do to acheive my 140-150hp goal without spending a boatload of cash as ill only have 600$...

5 things i could do with 600$???

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
Swap over to a manual trans, biggest difference in the world. Then get your self a y8 intake manifold

·
Registered
99 civic dx
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id love to change my transmission to manual but i cant do the change. sure i could buy all the parts for a little less than 600$ but paying someone for labor might cost alot

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Buy a d16y8 and an automatic d16y8 ecu from a salvage yard. They have 128hp.

Unless your wanting 130hp to the wheels. That's something the search button will help you with.

·
Registered
99 civic dx
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i need to get better with that "search" button =), thanks guys 128 hp would be ok.. just my car at 106hp feels like its draggin ass, all i really want is it to be more responsive and better at lower rpms

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
I used to have a y7 auto too, and i feel ya on the power lol

Things I would suggest are mostly the same as other peeps.

definitely get a z6 of y8 intake manifold, they're cheap, easy to swap, and there's tons of DIY writeups available.

a y8 head swap would also be nice, because you would get the intake manifold (usually) with it, and end up netting like 25 hp at the crank. Only thing with the head swap is it's a little more compicated, and you would need a vtec ecu, along with wiring in vtec n stuff (its not uber hard, there are also lots of write ups on this too!)

no matter if you swap heads, you should definitely look into an intake(in my opinion i like cold air, but short ram gives you a little more down low power) and an exhaust

for an intake and header off ebay i spent like 80 bucks, and it makes a noticable difference on sound and power (its mostly just power you feel, maybe not more than 5hp on the dyno, BUT my throttle response was WAY better!)

if you wanna put more in, an exhaust is nice too, just don't get a 3inch, youll lose power up top, i think mine (which IS 3 inch lol) was 130 or so off ebay, so that'd be just over 200 or so, for my prices atleast.

other options: You could send your camshaft out to delta cams and get a regrind. This would net you some nice numbers, maybe even up to 10hp (i really don't know, but ive always heard great things)

while your cam is out being made awesome, you could port and polish your head, which would help compliment the header, intake, and cam upgrades alot.

the last thing I can think of off the top of my head would be an auto-trans cooler, I ran one and I thought my shifts were quicker and stiffer, but that was just my experience

cleaning can also do wonders, if your engine is all gunked up, you could be losing alot of power, on top gear they had a car lose like over 20hp(from stock rating) and after james may cleaned it they gained like 27, so yeah

good luck with your build man! eventually you're gonna have to swap to a manual, you can't tune with that tranny (believe me i tried hahah)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts