Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanting to know if i could use a 1999-2000 ex civic 5spd engine harness on a 96-98 civic ex 5spd

·
Registered
123 Posts
i know this is a few months old but its sort of my same question. I have a 97 civic ex. but its currently running a d16y7, I have my hands on a 00 d16y8 complete swap. its totally complete with distributor, wire harness, ecu and everything. I know its obd2b and that the ecu plugs are different from obd2a,but I was wondering if i can drop it right in with the harnes that came with it and just use the 00 ecu, wondering if it will plug into my shock tower plug. i really dont want to have to source an obd2a vtec harness, ecu or distributor. or have to spend the money on a obd1 conversion harness, untill im ready to boost it that is . can anyone advise ?

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
i know this is a few months old but its sort of my same question. I have a 97 civic ex. but its currently running a d16y7, I have my hands on a 00 d16y8 complete swap. its totally complete with distributor, wire harness, ecu and everything. I know its obd2b and that the ecu plugs are different from obd2a,but I was wondering if i can drop it right in with the harnes that came with it and just use the 00 ecu, wondering if it will plug into my shock tower plug. i really dont want to have to source an obd2a vtec harness, ecu or distributor. or have to spend the money on a obd1 conversion harness, untill im ready to boost it that is . can anyone advise ?
if you use the obd2 ecu, how is the dash harness going to fit in since the ecu plugs are different between the ecu years lol? just use the harness you have now and add the wires for vtec, and do the easy easy iacv fix. literally a ten minute job if you have wire and a writeup and lots cheaper than buying a lazy ass vtec harness. the only thing you need to source is the obd2a vtec ecu.

·
Registered
123 Posts
if you use the obd2 ecu, how is the dash harness going to fit in since the ecu plugs are different between the ecu years lol? just use the harness you have now and add the wires for vtec, and do the easy easy iacv fix. literally a ten minute job if you have wire and a writeup and lots cheaper than buying a lazy ass vtec harness. the only thing you need to source is the obd2a vtec ecu.

i didnt thing the dash harness plugged in to where the ecu plug is, so i just thought id ask,i thought it was a green plug that was secondary near the firewall, thought maybe they would fit, oh well. guess ill just go ahead and get an obd1 p28 and the conversion harness and get it chipped with crome since ill be doing it eventually anyway.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
it is but, i dont think the pinouts are the same and im not sure if the plugs are even the same. you could try repinning maybe. i still think it would be easiest to switch to obd1 since you are doing that later anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts