Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
01 Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Ive watched this forum for a little bit but this is my first post.

I recently purchased a 98 ek with a d16y7. The power steering steering rack is worn out and i would like to replace with a manual one. From everything i have read on the ek you dont need to swap the sub frame or anything its just a simple rack swap besides the u joint but can't find any info on what size joint to get.

Does anyone have any experience with this and know what size u joint to get?

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,384 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I have a power subframe in my EF, and the trick to using a manual rack was to double the bushings on the non pinion side of the rack. Put the manual rack bushing on the rack, then put the PS rack bushing over that, and then bolt it all up.

Like batman said you need a U joint to hook the manual rack up to the OEM steering column. OEM one doesnt work, IIRC its too big. The proper sized piece of aluminum could be used as a bushing, perhaps.

·
4,384 Posts
so, did you like, not read the link I posted?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Slo - Just read that thread you posted. I've been tempted to turn my 94 Del Sol into manual steering. I may never end up doing it, I'll have to loop the lines and take the belt of to see how it feels. Based on the first post on that thread it seems like it my power U-Joint should work. It might not take much to make the swap on mine... Or would it?

OP - just curious what your reasoning for wanting to swap to manual steering is?

·
4,384 Posts
taking the belt off isn't that great. Ive ran mine like that for awhile, pain when stopped, but rolling, you cant tell the difference.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
taking the belt off isn't that great. Ive ran mine like that for awhile, pain when stopped, but rolling, you cant tell the difference.
Did you loop your lines as well? I've been told it makes a difference, because the fluid isn't "fighting the pump". Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it's worth trying.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
879 Posts
Looping the lines isn't the same as a real manual rack. And keeping the P/S isn't that big of a detriment nowadays. This ain't your granddaddy's Buick.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Looping the lines isn't the same as a real manual rack. And keeping the P/S isn't that big of a detriment nowadays. This ain't your granddaddy's Buick.
I know it isn't the same as a manual rack, its just a shortcut to get similar results. Not quite as effective though as converting to a real manual rack. And you're definitely right, it's not your grandaddy's Buick, but cars are so light they really don't need power steering though it is definitely nice at very slow speeds.

·
4,384 Posts
Did you loop your lines as well? I've been told it makes a difference, because the fluid isn't "fighting the pump". Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it's worth trying.
nope. the thing leaked anyways, so I just ran it without the belt and whatever was in the lines/rack.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I did'nt loop my lines, I just took them off. opened it up..packed it with grease, then just let the air transfer in and out as needed.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The quickest and easiest thing to do is cut the pressure line, pull out the inner metal spiral, and then just route it back to the return nipple and secure with a hose clamp. Looped in 10 mins.

For what its worth my old 98 CX race car had a manual rack from the factory. (so maybe look up what u joint a CX uses and order that)

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Looping will leave play in the power rack de-powered, check out the DIY section.

The integra/ek/(maybe)del sol racks will have slightly less than the EG style ones.

For street cars it may not be a big deal for you. But performance driving, that slop is annoying. The grippier your tires, the more you notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts