Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 98 civic with a blown motor. the trans came with. The dude i bought it from said he ran nitrous...is the trans still usable?
I bought another motor put a new flywheel and clutch kit on it. Now i drove it out of my driveway it went into 1st gear, no problems. got it all the way up to 40mph in 4th went around the block a couple times. Got to to stop sign took off in 1st gear and then i got on it a little in 2nd and it revved right up. And quit shifting. I pulled to the side and tried to put it in gear, trans was making a grinding noise in every gear you put it in and would not move even in reverse. I'm guessing the trans is done. But not sure.
Any one else got any suggestions?
thanks in advance.
Also idk if it matters i when i bought the motor it had a auto trans on it but i took all that off and put a new clutch and flywheel for 5speed. Any help i'd apprieate i need this car done ASAP.
(When I was trying to bolt up the trans to the flywheel, the trans resisted and wouldn't sit flush... The was about a small gap. We put the bolts and it cinched the gap, then we drove it after. Could this have also been a problem? Because the shaft was worn?....)

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
you could of bent something tightening it like that.

also auto and manual motors have a diiferent bearing that normally gets stuck in the flywheel or rear crank.

Then did you bleed the clutch?
and new clutch need break in time or they will glaze and slip.

and try to put it in gear while the car is off

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,106 Posts
if you had to force it on, odds are the input shaft could be bent, or the bearing could be toast. yank and inspect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you could of bent something tightening it like that.

also auto and manual motors have a diiferent bearing that normally gets stuck in the flywheel or rear crank.

Then did you bleed the clutch?
and new clutch need break in time or they will glaze and slip.

and try to put it in gear while the car is off
yea i bleed the clutch and i shut the car off and put in second gear and moved the car back and fourth and the car went all the way back so the trans isnt workin in gear

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also the trans sat in the car for 2 years and was used when the motor/blockblew a hole threw it if this makesa difference

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok like a dumbass i just went outside and noticed there was fluid on the ground all the way out to the road. Now i guess i didnt and knowone else noticed it. but i walked up the road where i drove and theres trans fluid off and on the ground where i drove. I know thats why it quit shifting completely. But be4 when i left the driveway where i sat for a moment there was puddle weather it was there from be4 i left or when i cam back. COuld it be the transaxle seals?

·
4,106 Posts
don't think lack of fluid would kill it. sure its trans fluid and not clutch?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Not moving and leaking fluid.
Says that your axle pop out.
Re stab it in the trans and see of you can get it moving.
You can drive a manual trans bone dry for a while. So i doubt low fluid would effect it like that.

·
4,106 Posts
sounds like the axles wernt seated all the way. dammit bone. always right again

·
4,106 Posts
so shove the axles back in and try again

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yeah mine went down the street and then went no where after a turn, axles fell out.

When you seat them there is a noticeable give/pop as you slip past the spring. If you didnt push hard for a few seconds and almost give up, then give it that one good push to pop it in, then you didnt seat them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts