1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Honda Civic HX
D16Y5 ~70k miles re-manufactured motor
Everything is stock

So my car developed a new problem recently and I was just curious if anyone had ideas. When I start the car (cold or hot) it will misfire and stumble for 2-10 seconds and then run fine, no CELs usually. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but I would say 75% of startups it occurs. Again, the car runs fine after a few seconds with no other issues.

What I've done recently:
Full tune up including all OEM cap/rotor, wires, fuel filter, plugs. Checked and set the timing. Adjusted valves within the last 20k miles. Compression test was done, ~210 psi on all 4 cylinders. I also did a quick check for vacuum leaks by spraying starting fluid around the usual trouble spots. Nothing.

After researching the problem a bit it sounds like an injector could cause this issue. A couple times when it misfired it created a blinking CEL for cyl #2. I cleared it, swapped injectors with #4, and it hasn't created a misfire CEL since then so I cannot confirm that the misfire moved with the injector. My only concern is that an injector would either be working or dead, right? Why would it run fine after a few seconds and sometimes not misfire at all? This sounds like my best bet so far, so I ended up ordering a used oem injector on ebay to try out.

Any ideas come to mind?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry I meant to say that after I switched the injectors the problem stayed, but the misfires have not been severe enough to trigger a CEL.

The EGR valve is bad and I have the electrical connector disconnected, as I have had for probably 50-60k miles. The EGR problems occurred when the motor tried to enter lean burn and I would get a stumble and eventually a CEL. After cleaning the egr passages in the intake manifold and following the troubleshooting in the FSM I concluded it was a faulty EGR valve. I never bothered to replace it ($200) because I still got up to 50 mpg without it, and with it disconnected there are no functional issues. Like I said I've been running with it disconnected for years and nothing has changed in that system.

I also forgot is has a new O2 sensor (NTK 24300 wideband 5 wire) that I bought because of a similar problem. One night leaving work the car was sputtering and misfiring on startup and hesitating as I started to drive down the road. I've learned you can just disconnect the O2 sensor to temporarily fix the O2 issue and it ran fine on the way home like this. After reconnecting the O2 sensor back at home, the problem returned, and again was fixed when I disconnected the O2. So I ordered the new O2 and did not have any problems for months until now. Not sure if it could be related because I have tried to disconnect the O2 like last time and the car still misfired at startup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you try to clean the EGR valve?

My recommendation would be to install a working EGR valve and then go from there. You need to have the engine working as intended before doing anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts