Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manifold is cracked and i wondering if it i would be able to get a full exhaust sytem headers, cat, everything

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
not for free... but yes, they are a ton of different parts you can get. Look in the review section.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
order a header for a 98 civic EX then an exhaust for a 98 civic LX.. this will bolt up and will eliminate the catalytic converter ... this works because the LX cat back system is a little bit longer than the ex cat back and actually bolts up to a ex header... then run an o2 sensor simulator... or like the guy said above try the obd1 conversion...

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
konigcivic said:
order a header for a 98 civic EX then an exhaust for a 98 civic LX.. this will bolt up and will eliminate the catalytic converter ... this works because the LX cat back system is a little bit longer than the ex cat back and actually bolts up to a ex header... then run an o2 sensor simulator... or like the guy said above try the obd1 conversion...
as long as you don't have to pass an emissions test.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For smog legality, get the EX header, EX catback, and an EX converter or direct-replacement aftermarket converter. It will all fit together nicely and work good.

My experience with the direct bolting of header to cat-back was that it didn't quite fit right so I had a leak, plus with no flex at all the catback system vibrated like crazy with every twitch of the motor. I ended up putting a flex pipe and cat in.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how good does a o2 sensor simulator work will i notice a performence difference?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
well in illinois they dont do the tail pipe testing for emissions on 96+ cars.. they hook up to the computer and check the computer , thats it... i just passed the emissions here a couple months ago with no catalytic converter.. all i had was the o2 simulator to trick the ecu into thinking there was a catalytic coverter.. it works cause they only check the ecu.......

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok but will i know notice a performence drop

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, the simulator is not a performance mod, it just allows you to remove the cat (which IS a performance mod!) and not throw codes at the ECU. But if your state does real sniffer tests where they measure the smog output you'll fail without the cat.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in wisconsin where i live there are no tests so im good

·
Registered
693 Posts
1998civiclx said:
in wisconsin where i live there are no tests so im good
Haha, yeah, it's really a blessing there are all these rusty, polluting domestic beater cars here in the Midwest. It's because most peoples cars wouldn't pass they got rid of the testing, so we benefit in the performance dept.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

·
Registered
693 Posts
For the O2 simulator, you can go to www.o2simulator.com they are $30 and require splicing in, or you can go to www.casperselectronics.com they are about 2X the price but come with factory connectors so you just plug it in. If you do end up with a factory EX converter this will be unnecessary though, just get an extension and plug the sensor into the cat.

Headers can be had anywhere from $80-$400+
Exhausts vary in price also, but the Apexi World Sport is a good system you can find for under $400 shipped. If you go with an EX converter, get the EX catback. I would get the EX system anyhow and if you don't want a converter then put a "test pipe" in to fill the space, then at least you'd have the option and a little more flexibility on the system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts